Chapter 48: Madoc

Kilian

"Uncle Bibi! Bibi!" Nova giggles and stumbles into my arms, her tiny hands instantly fisting my shirt as I lift her up.

"Girl, don't you ever get tired? It's five a.m.!"

Her response is another laugh before she buries her head in the crook of my neck. The mutter that follows her lips makes no sense at all, but she seems adamant about explaining something while gesticulating wildly. "Baaabaabaa dada boop boop mama doooo," she brabbles with a wave of her hand, entertaining not just me, but everyone else in the hospital waiting room.

"She's definitely a talker, Uncle Kiki," Venus remarks from the chair next to me, a wide but tired grin on her face.

"Yes! Bibi! Brrrbrrrbiibii!" Nova chimes in with a laugh, lifting her hand up to my face.

"No, she's definitely a dinosaur, that's what she is."

"Dinodaur?" The little girl asks with furrowed brows.

I can't help but laugh at the confused look on her face, the same expression her dad carries when he's being an idiot staring back at me. "Yeah. Dinosaur. A T-Rex, like you."

"Kilian..." Jasmine suppresses a laugh at our conversation, but I won't let that stop me.

"Wanna hear about dinosaurs, T-Rex?" I ask, and Nova unsurprisingly nods her head. "Well, okay then. There's triceratops and stegosaurus... Or pterodactyls! My favorites have always been the velociraptors, though. They're fast as hell."

The foreign words must amuse Nova, because she releases yet another giggle that resonates in the entire room, earning ourselves a few amused glances from patients and visitors. "Ell! Hehe. Ell!"

"That's what you take from that? Really?"

"Mr. Rogers? Hello?" The nurse's voice makes all three of us turn around to find her standing in the doorway with a smile on her lips.

"Ello ell!" Nova brabbles, much to the nurse's amusement.

"Hello, Nova!" She greets her with a chuckle. "Mommy and Daddy are ready for you. Do you want to come see them?"

"Daddy mamma daddy!" My goddaughter scrambles in my arms, but the nurse luckily seems to understand what that means. So in a matter of minutes we're led down the hallway, Venus' hand in my own and Nova still holding onto my shirt as I carry her on my hips.

"So... What do you think it is?" my wife whispers with a quick glance at the toddler in my arms.

"The new baby? I don't know." I take a quick glance at Nova in my arms. "Maybe this one will be a raptor. That's the only one standing a chance against the T-Rex, right?"

Jasmine's unladylike snort echoes through the hallway, a hand on her mouth as she vigorously shakes her head at me. "What is it with you and your love for extinct species?"

"There we are," the nurse interrupts our exchange, "Let me just check if maybe they only want Nova in there first..."

"Nooo! Bibi bibi bibi!" The girl in question shoots the nurse a stern look as she pulls herself closer into my arms, and I can't help but laugh at her display.

"What's up, T-Rex? Don't feel like becoming a big sister, huh?" I chuckle as she pulls herself closer to me with furrowed brows. "I mean, I get it. It's a ton of work. Wouldn't want to be you right now, to be honest."

"Kilian!" Jasmine slaps my shoulder. "Stop being an idiot, please."

"No idiot!"

Both the nurse and I widen our eyes at Nova's babble, and Jasmine quickly seems to follow what exactly she just taught her goddaughter when she throws a palm on her lips. "No..."