chapter nine!

chapter nine! the psats

─── ✽ ───

"I'm depressed," 
Louise dramatically sighed, refusing to take her eyes off Thea who sat counting Fritos out onto two separate napkins for her friends.

"Jeremy didn't call?" Madeline asked, watching as her share of the Fritos began to be counted out.

"Not in a timely manner, no,"

"Well, good riddance to bad luggage," Thea dismissed, she had never heard majorly pleasant things said about Jeremey.

"I guess. I just thought we really connected the other day in the supply closet," Lousie sighed, knocking her crips around her napkin.

"Boys, a Nancy Drew mystery," Thea sarcastically scoffed, pushing the second napkin to Madeline. 

"Thea, Louise, Madeline,"
Paris greeted sitting down beside Thea, placing her lunch tray on the table in front of her, an uncharacteristically bright smile plastered across her face.

"You look happy," Thea noted, finally turning her attention to her own lunch, a chicken salad her grandmother's current maid had packed her that morning.

"Really? Huh,"

"What?"

"Nothing. It's just a nice day. A nice, nice day," Paris smugly answered, clearly holding something back.

"Okay,"

"So, did you get your PSAT scores back yet?" Paris asked looking between the girls.

"Oh, yeah, yesterday. Grandma almost lost her mind," Thea answered, a gentle laugh escaping her lips as she recalled Emily Gilmore racing through the Gilmore mansion with the envelope containing Thea's PSAT results.

"And?"

"770 verbal, 770 math," Thea answered, Rory turned her attention from the book she'd been reading at the end of the table her eyes widening in shock at her sister's score. Rory had always just assumed Thea was just as dumb as some of the people she was friends with.

"Impressive," Paris nodded, smiling at her best friend's score, she never had any doubt that Thea would do amazing,

"Madeline?"

"500 verbal, 560 math,"

"Respectable," Thea smiled, pushing her fork into her salad once more.