chapter two!

chapter two! the celebration dinner

───   ✽  ───

"So, what would everyone like to drink?"
Emily smiled, slipping straight into perfect society hostess mode as she escorted Lorelai, Rory and Rory's special guest, Dean into the living room.

"Uh, well, I'll have a white wine and Dean'll have a beer," Lorelai joked, sitting down in one of the armchairs, and offering Thea a nervous smile.

"What?!"

"Corona right?" Lorelai continued to tease, a smirk coating her deep lips.

"No, I don't want a beer! I don't drink beer. I'll have water or soda or anything. Or nothing. Not beer. Never beer. Beer is... beer's bad," Dean ranted, frantically panicking as the Gilmores around him sat stoically.

"Relax Dean, that's just Lorelai's little sense of humour," Emily dismisses, passing her daughter her white wine, "You're very cruel."

"Well, yes, keeps me young,"

"I'm just gonna sit here and stare at my hands," Dean mumbled, watching as Thea stood up to retrieve her own drink.

"Soda Dean?" Emily asked, offering the boy a crystal glass of soda.

"Please,"

"Rory?"

"Oh, I'll have a beer," Rory jokes, causing Emily and Lorelai to start laughing, "I'm sorry Dean, we're not laughing at you."

"Oh, wait, I think I was,"

"I think I was a little too," Emily reluctantly admitted, glancing up as Richard entered the room, "Oh, Richard, there you are. Come join us."

"Hey, Dad,"

"Grandpa, hi. This is Dean. Dean, this is my Grandpa," Rory introduces, quickly noticing the panicked expression crossing Dean's face.

"Hello," Richard stoically greeted, clutching the first edition in his hands tightly.

Dean anxiously offers his hand to the Gilmore elder, "It's uh... it's nice to meet..."

"Does everyone have drinks?" Richard checks, moving over to the drinks cart to pour himself a drink.

"Uh, yeah, we all have drinks,"

"Yes, Grandpa," Thea smiled, raising her drink to show her grandfather.

"Should we do the beer thing again?" Dean leaned forwards whispering to Lorelai, wishing he could think of something to make a good impression on Richard.