chapter seventeen!

chapter seventeen! the late dinner

─── ✽ ───

"Grandma, please,"
Thea pleaded, hungrily staring at the bowl of soup in front of her,
"We're starving." 

"We're waiting for your grandfather," Emily snapped once more, sick of having to repeat herself.

"It's gonna get cold," Thea pointed out, drumming her fingers against the cotton tablecloth the hunger overwhelming all of her senses.

"We are waiting for your father," Emily repeated once more.

"We've been waiting forever," Lorelai groaned, pulling her purse onto her lap, praying there was some sort of snack hiding inside.

"We've been eating late all week," Thea groaned, Emily shot her granddaughter a disappointed look at that comment, "He comes in so late all the time from fixing that car."

"We have not been waiting forever,"

"Forever. Godot was just here. He said, 'I ain't waiting for Richard,' grabbed a roll, and left. It's been forever," Lorelai witted, looking down at her empty plate once more.

"When we gather as a family, we eat as a family. We don't eat in shifts - you know that and Richard certainly knows that," Emily reminded her family, hoping that would stop their grumbling for a while.

"When did he get that antique car anyhow?" Rory asked, looking over at her grandmother.

"A couple of horrible weeks ago," Emily answered, with a sigh.

"What happened to the oil painting hobby of his?"

"Ah, you know your father. When he couldn't foresee rivalling Cezanne, he lost interest so he bought that car," Emily explained, quickly stopping when she saw Lorelai's actions, "Lorelai!"

Lorelai groaned, spitting out the piece of candy she had just placed in her mouth, "Mom, it's not dinner, it's just my private stash."

"It's eating and we're not eating,"

"You know, you're bound by the rules of the Geneva Convention, Mother, just like everyone else," Lorelai, upon spotting her father entering the dining room, "Hey, no one told me it was casual Friday."

"Hello everyone," Richard greeted stepping into the dining room in his grease-covered overalls, his eyebrows furrowing when he saw the untouched bowl of soup on the table, "You haven't started?"