chapter five!

chapter five! the debutant ball

─── ✽ ───

"I promise I won't be long," Rory promised, as Thea pushed open the oak door allowing the twins entrance to the house.

"Uh-huh," Thea mumbled, stepping into the foyer and straightening out her uniform and her hair, knowing what they were about to enter into, "They must be out on the patio."

The twins walked through the house and just as Thea had thought the patio doors had been pushed open and there was Emily Gilmore. Emily was sat surrounded by her friends teacups and saucers littering the table as the society's wives gossiped.

"Good afternoon, Thea, good day at school?" Emily asked, upon noticing her youngest granddaughter. It took Emily a minute to notice that Rory also joined the girl, "Oh, Rory! What a nice surprise!"

"Hey, Grandma. Sorry to butt in like this," Rory apologised, nervously stepping behind Thea, who had failed to warn her about the guests.

"Nonsense. Come and meet my friends," Emily smiled, beckoning the two girls over, "Ladies you already know Thea, and I'd like you to meet my other granddaughter, Rory."

"Well, hello, Rory,"

"Nice to meet you,"

"My goodness, what a pretty girl you are," one of Emily's friends smiled, lifting her tea to her lips as she assessed both girls,
"Just like your sister."

"They look just like Lorelai, don't they?" another noted, Rory nervously shifted while Thea just stood there faking a smile, she had gotten used to the comments about her mother years back.

"The eyes!"

"The nose!"

"Walk around, sweeties," Sunny, the woman beside Emily, begged.

"Sunny, leave the girls alone," Emily begged, gently waving off her friend.

"I just want to see the walk. Lorelai had such a specific walk," Sunny explained, her eyes still focused on the twins.

"Come, sit. Would you like some tea?" Emily gestured to the two girls, Thea nodded taking the seat beside her grandmother, while Rory remained standing.
Emily carefully poured Thea a cup of tea, pushing the milk and sugar towards the girl to make her tea just like she liked it.

"I came to pick up a book Grandpa was supposed to leave for me," Rory explained, gesturing behind her in hopes of escaping.

"Go check his study, it might be on his desk," Emily suggested, Rory nodded her head leaving to go retrieve the book Richard had mentioned.