chapter sixteen!

chapter sixteen! the haydens

─── ✽ ───

"Dad!"
Thea raced over to Christopher, throwing her arms around him, tightly holding onto the man she hadn't seen in months. 

"Hi, sweetie." Christopher smiled, kissing the top of his youngest daughter's head.

"Hello, Rory. Lorelai. Christopher, old boy, how are you? My gosh, it's good to see you!" Richard enthusiastically greets, shaking the suited man's hand, once he'd unwrapped himself from his daughter.

"How are you, Richard?"

"Well, I'm better than most, not as good as some," 

"And annoyed with all," Christopher continued, prompting a laugh to fall from Richard's lips.

"Aha! You speak the truth, young man! I have made martinis. So, Christopher, tell me about your business," Richard smiled, moving over to the prepared martinis and distributing them between Lorelai, Chris and Emily.

"Oh, Richard, let the poor boy relax,"  Emily dismissed, smiling over at the seemingly happy family.

"Well, I simply want to find out how it's going," Richard defended, as the group sat down across the sofas.

"I bet it'll be very successful, Dad," Thea encouragingly smiled.

"Oh, that's wonderful. I always knew you had it in you," Richard fawned, "You have a splash of greatness as my mother would say. You've always had that splash of greatness,"

"Oh, Richard," Emily adored, smiling as she looked between her granddaughters and their father, "Aren't Thea and Rory the spitting image of Christopher?"

"I just hope you inherit your father's business sense also, my dears,"

"I know one thing for sure - you certainly have your father's musical talent, especially Thea," Emily happily smiled, glad to see her daughter and Christopher together once again.

"Oh, wait just a minute," 

"What?"

"Mom, Rory and Chris have no musical talent," Lorelai scoffed, trying not to laugh at her mother's comment.

"Hey, I play guitar," the Hayden defended, shocked by Lorelai's accusations.

"You know the opening lick to 'Smoke on the Water'," Lorelai argued, turning to face Christopher.