chapter twelve!

chapter twelve! the undercover mission

─── ✽ ───

"What are you doing?"
Rory sighed, watching Paris emerge herself in a menu, pulling it up to cover her face.

"Trying to blend in, fade away, observe," Paris answered, not lifting her eyes from the laminated menu.

"Hey, Rory. Coffee?" Luke asked, going over to the three girls who had taken seats at the counter.

"Thanks, Luke," Rory gratefully smiled.

"Who's your friends?" The diner owner asked, pouring Rory a cup of coffee.

"Angela Landsbury," Rory sarcastically grumbled, pointing at the blonde and then at Thea, "And you remember my sister, Thea."

"Yup, hey Thea," Luke hesitantly greeted, he and Lorelai had yet to discuss her youngest daughter turning up that night.

"You're the owner here?" Paris asked, lowering the menu to look at the man.

"Yup. You want some coffee Angela, Thea?" Luke asked, Thea, nodded smiling as Luke poured her a cup of coffee.

"No thanks," Paris dismissed.

"Okay,"

"So, you run the diner, huh?"

"Oh boy," Thea sighed, knowing her best friend wouldn't let this go.

"You get a lot of truckers through here?" Paris asked sharply.

"Truckers?" Luke repeated, placing the coffee pot back on the stand.

"Yeah. You know, guys on the road for weeks, lonely, looking for company, a little pick me up. Things like that," Paris explained.

"What's she talking about?" Luke asked, turning to the Gilmore twins for an answer.

"Your guess is as good as mine," Rory sighed, lifting her hands in surrender.

"It's pretty common knowledge that diners are breeding grounds for prostitution and drug dealers," Paris continued.

"What?"

"Have you ever seen anything like that going down here?" Paris interrogated, looking around the diner.

"Have I ever..."