chapter four!

chapter four! the argument

───   ✽  ───

"You've turned her against me!"
Lorelai screamed, trailing behind the society wife into the sitting room, the older Gilmore picking up the odd item that Thea had left about. Books, hockey socks, nail polishes and CDs stacked in her arms.

"You're the reason she hates me. Why she still won't speak more than three words to me," Lorelai continued to argue, ignoring the fact that her mother had yet to respond to her.

"You're wrong, Lorelai," Emily calmly explained, grabbing some books that Thea had left on the coffee table over the past couple of days, "You did this."

"You're wrong," Lorelai cried, as Emily pulled out a hidden basket and dropped the items she'd collected into the basket.

"We gave you ample opportunities to be a part of your daughter's life, you choose to decline them," the Gilmore elder shook her head, placing the basket next to the sofa before grabbing the stack of CDs that had been left on the mantle.

Lorelai's harsh screaming had somehow managed to overshadow the loud music echoing from Thea's stereo. Thea pushed her textbooks away and pushed herself onto her feet, curiosity fuelling her petite body about what the argument was about. Nervously, Thea sneaked out of her bedroom and out onto the landing in an attempt to hear the argument clearer. Carefully Thea moved down the stairs, trying not to alert her grandmother and mother of her presence.

"You choose to not be a part of her life and you turned her against you," Emily continued to explain, lowering herself onto the stiff sofa.

"What? How would I turn my daughter against me?" Lorelai screamed, propping herself up against the mantlepiece.

"You took Rory and ran," Emily sighed, leaning forward and grabbing Thea's tatty copy of 'Wuthering Heights', gently tracing her fingers over the black-carved letters.

"It-it was the best thing for her," Lorelai stuttered, tears pooling in her eyes. Neither Lorelai nor Emily noticing as Thea settled herself on the small carpeted landing.

"You didn't have to keep letting her down," Emily fought back, "You could have come to see her, sent her a birthday card, or gone to her performances and competitions."

"I wasn't there to let her down," Lorelai groaned, collapsing onto one of Emily's flawlessly selected sofas across from her mother, "I wasn't there."

"She cried every night, begging for her mommy to love her," Emily broke out, standing up and moving to sit beside her daughter, "I don't know how you expected us to explain that to her, to a baby, a little girl."

"She was such an ill little baby, Rory was twice her size," Lorelai admitted, a tear escaping her blue eyes, her hand nervously pushing her dark hair out of her eyes, "She was so small, I thought I was going to break her."

"You were never gonna break her," Emily gently laid her hand on Lorelai's arm, attempting to offer the brunette some comfort, "You would have done her so much good, even just being around more."

"I couldn't, every time we came here, I just saw this little girl that I'd given up," Lorelai broke down, tears flooding her face,
"A little girl I never got the chance to know,"

"The only person that can fix this is you Lorelai," Emily sighed, clutching the tattered book even tighter, "You have to make the effort with her, take an interest in her life, in her friends.'

Tears had welled in Thea's mossy eyes as she'd listened to her grandmother's and mother's conversation. Thea remembered Emily trying to convince her when she was little that her mother loved her, regardless of everything that had happened.

"I've gotta go, Mom," Lorelai sniffled, pushing herself to her feet and rushing out of the Gilmore mansion before Emily could even move to stop her.

Thea pushed herself to her feet once more, leaning her head over the railing to see tears streaming down Emily's face. With a deep breath, Thea moved down the few remaining stairs and into the living room and over to her grandmother.
Emily held her latest read to her chest, holding it as tight as she wished she could hold Thea. Tears continued to drop as Thea wrapped her arms around Emily, both grandmother and granddaughter holding each other as they cried.

"I love you so much, Thea," Emily sniffled, softly kissing the top of Thea's head as they held each other.

"I love you so much too, Grandma,"