chapter eleven!

chapter eleven! the retirement

─── ✽ ───

"This is really good," Lorelai complimented,
through a mouthful of food already shovelling more food onto her silver fork.

"Yeah, what is it?" Rory excitedly agreed, pointing her fork down at her plate.

"Well, it-" Emily began to explain before she was met with a lot of discouragement from her daughter.

"No, don't tell us," Lorelai cut Emily off, shaking her head gently.

"Why not?"

"Because every time in my life that I've tasted something great but I didn't know what it was, it turned out to be something really disgusting that had I known what I was eating I never would've tried it in the first place," Lorelai ranted before returning to eat more of her dinner.

"Example?" Rory requested, lifting another forkful of food to her lips.

"Snails," Thea spoke up, her mother nodding in agreement.

"Gross,"

"I thought you said you enjoyed the snails, Thea?" Emily asked quickly realising what the youngest Gilmore had disclosed. 

"You were so happy that I liked them, I didn't want to ruin it Grandma," Thea apologised, lowering her gaze to return it back to her plate.

"Eat in ignorance and enjoy it, my friend," Lorelai suggested, turning back to her food.

"Gladly,"

"So, Dad, how's the retired life treating you?" Lorelai asked, turning to her father who had remained silent through the previous discussion.

"Well, fascinating actually. I find myself noticing things, everyday things that I must've witnessed a hundred times before but just walked right past. Like yesterday, your mother moved a vase, the one in the hall, and she didn't do it in front of me," Richard explained, retirement had opened his eyes to all of the going on in the Gilmore mansion.

"Oh no, 'cause nice girls never move vases in front of men," Thea joked, reaching out for her water glass.

"And she only moved it a little but as I passed it by I noticed it had been moved," Richard continued, a smile forming on his face.

"Impressive,"

"And every day's a new discovery. Your mother changed her hair. Or she wore showed that didn't match her purse," Richard continued much to his wife's disgust.