chapter four!

chapter four! the required sport

─── ✽ ───

"Dinner was lovely, Emily," Richard commented, wiping his face with the napkin and placing it back on the dining table.

"Mira does make a perfect cassoulet,"

"Who's Mira?" Thea spoke up, looking between her grandparents for an answer, "I thought she was called Sarah."

"Our cook," Emily answered simply, shocked that her granddaughter wasn't aware who Mira was.

"I thought the cook was Heidi," Lorelai added, confused about the people that were currently in her mother's employment.

"We let Hiedi go months ago," Emily informed, "she had a problem with closing things. The door, the refrigerator."

"The liquor bottle,"

"Then it was Trina, then Sophia," Emily listed off without a second thought.

"I liked Sophia," Richard nodded, stabbing his fork into one of his potatoes.

"Grandpa, she was the one who sang," Thea explained, giving the ageing man a soft smile.

"That's right, terrible woman," Richard shook his head.

"And after Sophia, we had Anton," Emily continued to list.

"That's right. Anton was the one that I liked,"

"I'm sorry, Dad, how do you mix up Anton and Sophia?" Lorelai interrupted, struggling to understand how her father had mixed up a man and a woman.

"What do you mean?"

"Well, one is a man and one is a woman," Thea pointed out.

"And your point being?" Richard asked, struggling to understand his daughter and granddaughter's point.

"That one is a man and one is a woman," Lorelai continued, still puzzled by her father.

"I have a lot to do in a day, Lorelai, I don't have time to keep up with the multitude of people that your mother employs,"

"But one is a man and one is a woman," Lorelai spoke once again, before turning to the cook who was hovering around the dining room, "The dinner was so wonderful, Mira."

"It's Sarah," the cook snapped, storming back to the kitchen.

"Ha, I knew it!" Thea laughed, causing her grandmother to shake her head at the rather sudden outburst.

"Oh, I'm sorry," Lorelai softly apologised, before turning to her mother, "Mom! Her name is Sarah!"

"I thought she said Mira," Emily added, not bothered that she had mixed up the cook's name.

"Hey, Grandma, these plates are really pretty," Rory interrupts, yet again trying to salvage the conversation and prevent the incoming disagreement.

"Thank you, Rory. They were your great-grandmother's," Emily explained, smiling over at the older twin.

"Lorelai the first," Richard smiled.

"I thought Mom was the first,"

"Not in the name,"

"No, but in so many other things I was a regular trailblazer," Lorelai joked, earning herself yet another ungrateful look from Emily, "Just finishing your thought, Mom."

"Lorelai the first was my mother. She was an extremely accomplished equestrian, a distinguished patron of the arts, and she was also world-famous for her masquerade balls. She was a quite a woman, my mother," Richard informed, smiling as he talked about his mother, "Quite the social butterfly. You take after her in so many ways, Thea."

"Yes, she was," Emily dismissed, hating the discussion about her mother-in-law, "Mira, come cut the cake please,"

"Yes, and why don't you bring Sarah out here with you?"

• • • • • • •

"So, Lorelai, how are things at that charming little inn of yours?" Emily asked, turning to face her daughter slightly.

"Mm-they're still charming and little. We're just crossing our fingers it doesn't assert itself and become rude and large," Lorelai joked, a soft smile ghosting her lips.

"Mom's having a huge wedding there this week," Rory informed, proud of her mother.

"Really?"

"Yea, actually there's people coming from all over the country," Rory smiled, proud of the wedding her mother had been arranging at the Independence Inn.

"Well, isn't that nice,"

"Yeah,"

"So, Rory, how's Chilton?" Emily asked, quickly turning her attention quickly back to her granddaughter.

"Okay, done with me now,"

"I'm sorry, was there more to the story?"

"Uh, Rory has to pick a team sport to play," Lorelai spoke, quickly turning the attention away from herself, "What sport did you pick, Thea?"

"Field hockey and cheerleading, I'm Captain of the underclassman teams, " she smiled softly, glad that her mother had for once taken the slightest interest in her.

"It's a requirement," Rory sighed.

"Physical fitness is as important as intellectual fitness. So says Plato and so say I,"

"What sport are you going to pick?" Emily asked.

"I'm not sure. I'm not really the athletic type," Rory answered, glancing at her mother for support.

"I told her she should go for the debating team," Lorelai spoke up, causing Rory to roll her eyes at her mother's comment.

"It's not a sport," Rory argued.

"It is the way the Gilmore's play," Lorelai smirked.

"So, what are your choices?"

"God, there's like a thousand of them: basketball, lacrosse, swimming, track, golf-" Rory listed off before she was interrupted by her grandmother.

"Golf? Well your grandfather is a golf player," Emily smiled, getting caught up in the excitement of a possibility of Richard and Rory playing golf together at the club, "He plays every week at the club. He could teach you to play like a pro."

"Emily,"

"Why, he could take you there on Sunday. It's perfect,"