chapter seven!

chapter seven! the bracebridge dinner

───   ✽  ───

"So, what are your travel plans, Dad?"
Lorelai wondered, trying to break the silence that cloaked the dining room.

"Hmm?"

"You and Mom, you always go out of town this time of year," Lorelai prompted, lifting her fork to her mouth.

"Last year it was the Bahamas," Rory added, shifting uncomfortably.

"Yes, that's right, it was,"

"I remember you had fun too. You said the Bahama...mins were real nice," Lorelai panicked, not being able to figure out the right word, "The Bahamites? The bahamamamainans?"

"It's Behamians," Thea confirmed, unknowingly coming to her mother's rescue.

"They were nice," Emily added, before returning to the silence that had been clocking more dinners lately. 

"So, what are your plans?" Lorelai asked once more, turning to her mother this time for an answer.

"We're not going anywhere this year," Emily revealed, her eyes drifting over to her husband with disappointment.  

"Why not?" Rory asked, looking between her grandparents, "Oh, well, yeah, it can be really nice just to stay home sometimes because you can do fun things that you normally wouldn't have time for."

"Yeah, like play Running Charades, and get out that Slip 'n' Slide," Lorelai joked, pilling food onto her fork. A strangled cough fell from Thea's lips as she tried to hide her laughter.

"We'll see,"

"Yes, we'll see."
Richard sighed, raising from his seat much to his family's confusion, "Would you all excuse me? I have to make some calls. Say goodbye before you leave, will you?"

"Yeah, sure Dad,"

"When is this awfulness with work gonna resolve itself?" Thea sighed, dropping her fork onto her plate. This had been the type of family meal that had been happening for nearly the past month.

"I don't know. The man is so sensitive. He reads so much into every perceived slight," Emily sighed, 

"Yeah. I remember one time when I was a kid, Dad put on some weight, and he bought a new suit to try cover it up. And he wore it for us and he said, 'How do I look' and I said, 'You look fat'," Lorelai recalled, pausing as she finished retelling the story seeming to second guess the memory.