My Turn

<edited on: 27 Jul>

  'I accept,' These two words echoed through the throne room.

   I kept repeating those words in my head. It must have been a mistake.

   She couldn't accept! Not after everything we've been through. What about all the experiences that we shared over the years...

   I thought she loved me...

   Even the gods were surprised. That is, all except one.

   "I'm proud of you, Annabeth!" Athena cheered with a wide smile. "All hail Annabeth Chase, Designer of Olympus, Daughter and Assistant Architect of Athena, Goddess of Wisdom."

   "We shall make you a god after the rewarding ceremony. Rise, daughter," she said.

   Not all Olympians were happy. I saw Dad clutching his trident so hard that his knuckles turned white. Aphrodite glowered at Annabeth, making her slightly shiver under the furious goddess's gaze.

   Annabeth couldn't meet my eyes. She kept looking down as she mouthed a small 'sorry' and went back into the crowd, the campers giving her a wide berth.

   "Percy Jackson, step forth!" I heard my father say. His eyes held deep sorrow.

   "My son," he said in a warm tone that made me feel a little better. Maybe it was magic, or maybe, it was just the kindness in his words.

   "I can't be certain that you'll accept, but I wouldn't be a good father if I didn't try," he said and stood up from his throne. "For your exceptional deeds in both wars, I wish to make you a god, Percy."

   "You shall be the general of my armies and next in line to my throne at Atlantis, after your brother Triton."

   "I hope you accept, especially after..." he trailed off, glaring at Annabeth as he waited for my answer. He looked at me, and I saw hope in his eyes. I hated having to crush that hope.

   "Dad," I said with a weak smile.

   "As much as I would be honoured, I wish to remain a mortal, and when my time comes, I would like to be reunited with my fallen friends," I told him. He looked downcast but nodded at me with respect.

   "Although," I chirped. "I would still like to use my wish,"

   The reaction of the gods was mixed. Many groaned while some snickered. You know who I am talking about. The sun god, that's right.

   "What do you want this time Jackson?" Zeus spoke, half out of annoyance.

   "Do you swear to fulfil it?" I asked with a raised eyebrow as Zeus groaned.

   "Yes, yes," he said irritably. "We, the Olympian Council, swear on the River Styx to fulfil your wishes to the best of our power, so long as it's within our power."

   "Right...First of all," I began, feeling like a small kid on Christmas Eve. "I want you to honour your promise to release all peaceful titans."

   "But unlike last time, you have one week," Many protests broke out from the council.

   "Or else," I made sure to add. "Well, the River Styx can handle the rest."

   "You DARE threaten us, Sea Scum?!" He roared, summoning his Master Bolt in his hand. But I didn't back down. I stared back defiantly, challenging him to throw it.

   The Olympians were all at the edge of their seats, none more than my dad, who was ready to defend me if the need arose. I smiled, knowing that they had my back, looked at Zeus.