Chapter 47

Taking the books and other stuff I needed from my locker, I made my way towards the first class that I had today. Already knowing that these were gonna be one hell of a boring few minutes, the fact that I absolutely despised the subject didn't make it any less easier. Vance and Mia who I apparently shared this class with would also be there which was a slight relief.

"Ah Miss Bennett," I heard Mr. Benson's thick voice speak up when I strolled passed his desk on my way to grab my usual seat. "How are we doing today?"

I instantly stopped walking and turned to look reluctantly back at him in return. This wouldn't go well. "Uh I am-"

"Did you complete your due mathematics assignments?" He interuppted my sentence like he always does and I resisted the urge to roll my eyes at him.

I opened my mouth and closed it, racking my brains to come up with a new excuse this time. "You didn't just get spring break but also two more extra weeks because of the fire. Did you or did you not finish your work?" He pressed his lips together at me, growing annoyed by my silence per second.

"Oh yes of course I've finished all the assignments you gave Mr. Benson," I lied, letting out an awkward laugh and waving a hand off at him.

He raised an eyebrow at my statement. "Oh did you really? Very well show me then," he folded his arms over his chest in his typical 'I teach math so I know everything' way.

I sighed, watching the class slowly starting to fill up as more and more people continued to come into the room while I was still stuck standing in front of the teacher's desk like a complete clown. "Uh you know what, actually my papers-"

"Got burned? Lost them at grandma's? Cat or your other non-existent pets peed on them? Little sister ate them?" He questioned harshly in a loud tone. "Which one is it gonna be this time?"

The few kids sitting the nearest to us started snickering, being used to our usual bickers and I composed myself to offer him a serious look, trying to look as innocent as possible. "Actually I was just looking at them at the school parking lot a few minutes ago and a car-"

"Blew them away? Ran over them? Yeah, find another one while you're at it," he grunted disapprovingly.

"Shit," I muttered to myself, realizing how much I needed to make up some new replies for next time. Well, now you'd say there shouldn't be a next time but yeah no, math and I don't work that way. We've realized we weren't just made for each other, you know? There was no communication, everyday struggle. Toxic relationship so I ended it. I deserved better.

"How many times do you want me to keep nagging at you to complete your work?! You have been delaying these assignments for months. These are 65% of your grade. I keep telling you that if you keep this up you won't be able to-"

And it's time to tune him out and admire my shoes.

"Are you even listening to me? This is getting out of hand, I'm sorry but I will have to call your mother now. This is enough," he announced curtly causing me to immidiately glance up at him and mould my expression into an apologetic one.

"No no please, I'll submit all the work tomorrow I promise. Don't call her," I whined desperately, knowing very well that involving mom in this would be an absolute death wish.

"Save the excuses for her. I know enough of what your 'tomorrow' means," he raised a hand to quiet me and I ran a suddenly restless hand through my hair.

Ugh, how do I get out of this now? I had forgotten that this lame ass work was still pending and I needed to show it to him. I could have made someone do it for me or thought of something else if I had somehow remembered sooner. "I'm sorry Mr. Benson. Please just give me some more time-"