Chapter 45

"Mom!"

"Mom!"

I briskly ran into my mother's arms just as I opened the door and saw her standing against our coffee table. She instantly turned towards the sound of my hyper voice when she heard it and sauntered towards me, excitement gleaming in her eyes.

"Oh welcome back honey, how was the flight?" She asked cheerfully, pulling me in her traditional bear hug which she uses whenever she's in a good mood. I wrapped my arms around her shoulders lovingly and buried my head into her neck. Leaving my suitcase forgotten behind.

"Jesus, are you crying?" She let out a chuckle and pulled away to take a glimpse of my flushed face.

I quickly raised a hand to wipe the tears. "No," I hiccuped causing her to narrow her eyes at me as she threw an amused glance my way. "I just missed you mom," I drawled, stretching out my arms wide so that she hugs me again.

"You're like a baby," she rolled her eyes, a jovial smile spreading on her lips as she pulled me closer once more.

I didn't know what had come over me but seeing her face and just hearing her voice after what felt like so long made me feel so overwhelmed with emotions that I couldn't hold back my tears anymore. They were happy tears but I internally knew they had more to them.

"She's my baby."

I whipped my head upwards when I suddenly heard his voice. "Dad?!" I shouted, searching for him while he casually stepped into view with his arms opened wide for me, a grin forming on his face.

"Oh my god, you were coming back early and didn't tell me?" I complained as he trapped me in his arms fondly.

"I missed you too," he laughed, patting my back twice with his heavy palms before pulling away to swiftly flick my nose. "Just wanted to give you a little surprise."

"Little?" I let out a vibrant chuckle as he proceeded to wiggle his eyebrows childishly. "Aw well, thanks dad. I couldn't be happier that you're back. You better not leave me alone again in a house with...her," I diverted my gaze onto mom who narrowed her eyes at me.

Dad cackled mischievously. "Oh yes, my apologies. No more business commitments. That must not happen again," he declared knowingly. "The lady is quite a scary one. But I'd rather call her annoying. Isn't she annoying?" He whispered, popping the 'g' in that typical gossip-y manner.

"Ugh, add controlling to that too please," I waved a hand off at him dramatically who quickly nodded several times.

"Christ! How did you cope up with her in my absence? Were you even given proper food and water regularly, darling?" He widened his eyes and I shrugged back wrenchingly in response.

"Why do you think I escaped to LA?" I asked causing him to place a shocked hand over his heart before snapping his neck to glance at the person we were talking about.