25. Solving Issues

“Can you stay with Kyle for a little while?” Will asked me. “Just in case he wakes up, because that sometimes happens with the drug.”

I nodded and sat down next to Kyle on the bed. When he started to stir, I gently rubbed his back to sooth him until he calmed down. That’s when Devan entered.

“So what happened?” Devan asked right away.

“Our car wouldn’t start and they had us surrounded. But then the car started and on our way out, someone shot through the back window and hit Kyle,” I answered.

Devan nodded. “Did anyone else get hurt?”

I shook my head.

“That’s a first.”

I had to keep myself from not letting out a small laugh at that, but Devan still caught it.

“Yeah, I know,” He said. “It’s pitiful.”

“How did everything go on your end?” I asked.

“If it was a real fight, we would have been back before you guys got out. Everything was good. No losses, only a few injuries.”

I nodded. Kyle began to wake again so I calmed him down. But he started to try to sit up, pushing my hands away as I tried to keep him lying down.

“No, no they took her,” He mumbled. He turned to Devan and grabbed his arm. “They took her from me.” His voice almost rose to a shout.

Devan helped Kyle to lay back down.

“They took her from me,” He said again quietly.

Once he was laying down again, I soothed him until he fell back to sleep. We sat in silence for another 20 minutes until everything downstairs had mostly quieted down and we went down there.

“Hey, Will,” I said as he was putting everything away.

“Yeah?” He asked.

“Kyle woke up for a moment and he was saying something about ‘they took her’. Do you know what he was talking about?”

Will stopped and looked at me, and at Devan, Nate, and Owen who were now listening for his answer.

“Kyle was out with Jade and I just happened to run into them and that’s when we were attacked. Kyle told her to run, but they shot her.”

I gasped. “Why would they kill her?”

Will just shook his head.

We all went to bed for the night, and I unfortunately still couldn’t sleep despite all the commotion yesterday and was awake early the next morning. I went to the living room and watched TV with it on mute so I didn’t wake anyone up.