13. The Tree House

When I woke up, I was no longer cold, but perfectly warm, which didn’t seem right. I rubbed my eyes as I sat up and stretched. The blanket around me fell down a bit, and being in only my underwear, the cold morning air sent goose bumps across my skin, so I quickly pulled it back around me. I decided that I could sleep for a little longer until it got warmer out, and lay back down. But when I lay down, my head didn’t meet the softness of a pillow, but the hardness of someone’s chest.

I screamed in terror, jumping to my feet and backing away from whoever it was, forgetting about what I was wearing and how cold it was now that I flung my blanket over them. I grabbed the first thing I thought could be used as a weapon, a can of pears. They jumped awake, struggling a bit with the blanket before pushing it off of themselves, revealing that it was Devan. He looked at me first in surprise, and then in more shock before he turned himself away from me.

“What hell are you doing here?” I asked him.

“Do you want to put something on before we talk?” He asked.

I gasped when I was reminded of my clothing, or lack of, at the moment. I quickly pulled my clothes back on, thankful that they were dry from yesterday.

“What were you doing?” I asked.

“I wanted to keep you warm so you wouldn’t get sick.”

“How did you find me?”

Devan peeked at me before turning around. “I knew you were still in the woods, and when no one found you, I knew exactly where you were.”

“How did you know I was here? And how did you know this was here?”

“I think I would know where my escape would be.”

“This place is yours?”

“Yeah. I was surprised that you found it.”

“I’m sure that I’m called Scout for a reason.”

“What do you mean?”

“I, uh…I don’t know.” I was just as confused as Devan at my statement.

“That’s your answer to a lot of questions.”

“Well I’m sorry that I have no memory, and am therefor unable to answer with anything else.”

“What were you planning on doing with that can?”

“I was going to throw it at your head, which does sound like a good idea still.”

“I’d prefer that we eat it instead.”

“You can eat it, I’m not hungry.” I tossed the can to him.