14. Deep Talk

I ended up organizing the cans of food by the kind of food, and then alphabetically, and then by color, and then reorganizing them the same way. I also made pyramids out of them, which is what Devan came back to.

“Looks like you’re having fun,” He said as he climbed in.

“Oh yeah, tons,” I responded, pulling out a bottom can, causing them all to go tumbling to the ground.

“You’re lucky none of those broke open.”

“Oh no, then what? Do we get to eat them?”

“You are reminding me of a child right now.”

“I’m not any younger than you.”

“You’re a year younger.”

“That doesn’t mean you can treat me like you’re superior.”

“But I am.”

He just got here, and we’re arguing.

“If I weren’t superior, you wouldn’t be here still.” He sat down and started stacking the cans like I had. “You would be free to go and would have no problems with me or anyone.”

“How did you get across the river without getting wet?” I asked, changing the subject.

“There’s a shallow part that you can walk across.”

“Of course there is.”

“Oh, and by the way, Owen had wanted to apologize about Michael.”

“Owen’s a cold, heartless murderer. I don’t accept his apology because he’s a liar.” I glared at Devan.

“I think you and Owen would get along well if you got to know each other.”

“Are you high?”

“No, I don’t do drugs.”

“Then you must be drunk.”

“Why’d you change your hair?” Devan jumped subjects.

“I took the dye out, this is it naturally,” I answered sarcastically. “Why do you think I changed my hair?”

“I think the color matches your disposition.”

“You should probably do the same then.”

 Devan shook his head. “No way. I never change my hair.”