7. Denying

I sat in the car for about ten minutes before anyone came to find me. As soon as someone opened the door, I flung myself at them, sobbing. I held onto them as if my life depended on it and at first he seemed to not know what to do, but then he wrapped his arms around me and held onto me.

“Why are you crying?” He asked.

Upon recognizing Devan’s voice, I pushed him away from me.

“No!” I shouted at him. “You’re no help! You just make it worse!”

Devan had a confused expression as he looked at me. Will came over to ask if I was alright, and normally I wouldn’t mind Will comforting me because he’s only been kind to me, but right now I avoided him too.

“You too! All of you!” I tried to keep the tears back as I shouted but I broke down. “It can’t be true! No, it’s all lies!” I sat down against the wheel of the car, not caring that I was probably ruining the dress. “You drugged me didn’t you? Just making me think that it’s true and that they are actually mine, but no, they can’t be!”

None of them made a move towards me.

“I just want to go home, but I don’t know where home is.”

Then Devan grabbed my arm and pushed me back into the car, slamming the door closed and then he got in and drove away.

“Please, just let me go,” I begged.

Devan didn’t respond to me the entire ride, no matter what I said or how loud I was. When we got back to the house, I refused to get out of the car, but Devan simply pulled me along after him.

“What did you do to her?” Melly asked as we walked through the house.

“Nothing,” Devan answered.

“Then why is she-”

“Shut up!”

I weakly tried to free myself, but I couldn’t do anything. Devan brought me up to the top floor, but walked right past my bedroom and headed to the other side of the house until he came to a door that I thought was a closet. But when he opened it, there were stairs waiting on the other side. Devan pulled me into the stairway, closing the door behind us and sending us into darkness. I whimpered, trying more desperately to get him to let me go, but he seemed immune to me as I clawed at his hand.

Eventually we arrived at the top of the stairs and I thought it was a dead end, but then Devan opened another door and I felt a cool breeze blow in. He led me up and onto the roof of the house. He brought me to the center of the house and then go of me and went back to sit in front of the door to get back inside.

“What is wrong with you?” I asked. “I don’t want anything to do with any of the mess that you dig up with your buddies. I am not this kind of person! I never knew how to shoot and gun or throw a knife before you trapped me here! It’s not true!”