2. Who's Who?

Then the last boy left, only to return a short time later.

“It’s alright,” A warm hand rested on mine. “You don’t have to hide anymore.”

I peeked up and made eye contact with a pair of gentle brown eyes.

“I’m Will, by the way.” He smiled at me.

I didn’t respond.

“You said your name was Scout?” Will asked.

I nodded.

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard of someone named that. It’s different…in a good way.”

He gently took a warm wash cloth and tried to clean the dried blood from my head. I winced, pulling away from him.

“Here,” He gave me a pillow. “Squeeze this when it hurts. You can even bite it if you want. Some people find that helpful.”

I gladly accepted the pillow, gripping it tightly as he carefully cleaned off my head.

“So how did you get this?”

“I don’t know,” I answered.

“How does someone not know how they get an injury like this?”

“I don’t remember. All I remember is headlights when I woke up.”

“I’m going to assume you got hit by a car. Owen’s not that cruel to beat you up.” Will looked me over. “With your head you have scratched up hands. Could you take you jumper off?”

I gave him a strange look.

“Oh, right. American. Your sweater, or sweatshirt, can you take it off?”

I cautiously removed the article of clothing.

“Bruised arms,” Will continued to assess me. “I don’t think your pants originally had a hole in the knee.”

I just shrugged because I had no idea.

“You’re lucky you don’t have worse. By the way you fought I don’t think you have any broken bones or dislocated limbs. Come on, let’s wash out those cuts.”

I followed as he led me to the kitchen.

“Hannah, you wanna get some pain killers?” Will asked a young woman who was putting dishes away.

She nodded and went to a cupboard, returning with two pills and a glass of water. I swallowed the pills with the water and thanked her. She just went back to her previous task. Liam brought me over to the sink and ran warm water over my hands to remove the dirt.