43. Lies

I was quiet during lunch, but no one questioned me, which I was thankful for. Just before I went to bed, Miles let me know that Marcus wanted Devan out by tomorrow. I sat in the kitchen, laying my head on the table.

"Are you alright?" Devan came in and put his hands on my shoulders.

"Yeah." I sat up. "Just thinking."

"About what?"

"What I'm going to do."

"I wish I could help, but I don't know anything about this place or the area."

"Yeah. You could probably go to bed. I'll be up for a while."

"Are you sure?"

I nodded.

"Goodnight." He kissed my cheek and left.

As soon as he was gone, I lay my head back on the table.

"Scout?" Danielle sat across from me at the table. "Are you okay?"

"No, I'm not," I told her.

"What's wrong?"

"I have to somehow make Devan think that I don't like him at all so that he can leave. If I don't make it convincing enough that Devan and Marcus believe it, then Marcus will kill Devan."

"That's horrible! What are you going to do?"

"I don't know for sure, but I have to do what Marcus wants because I don't want Devan killed."

"That's harsh. And there's no way around it?"

I shook my head. "I don't want to hurt him, but there isn't any other way."

"Is there anything I can do to help?"

I shook my head. "Thanks for trying though."

She told me goodnight and left me alone.

I didn't sleep at all that night. I was too busy worrying about what I was going to do about my problem.

After breakfast, Marcus said that I was to get Devan out. So I had to do what I had to do.

As I led Devan back to the garage, he asked me why I was being so quiet.

I didn't answer.

He continued to question me, but I never answered, which made him mad, exactly what I wanted.

"Come on, Scout!" He shouted at me as we walked into the garage. "Why won't you tell me what's wrong?"

I still didn't say anything.

He grabbed my shoulders and made me stop walking and face him.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing," I told him.

"Stop lying, Scout."

"It's none of your concern."

"Yes, it is my concern that something is wrong with you."

"My problem isn't with me, it's with you!" I shouted at him. Lie.

"What did I do?"

I just pushed his hands off of me and continued walking towards the car that was going to be taking Devan out.

"Scout, what did I do?" Devan asked.

I rolled my eyes and kept walking.

"Scout, will you answer me?!"

"You don't deserve an explanation!" I yelled at him.

He slapped me. "Screw you then!" But then he realized what he had done and tried to apologize.

I took a couple steps back. "You're a monster! A cold-hearted demon!"

"Scout, I-"

"Don't even try to pretend! You meant it and you know it! Go! Leave! I don't want to see you anymore!" I turned and quickly walked out.

As I passed Marcus, he nodded at me to say well done.

Once I was out of sight in the hallways, I ran back to the Loft and into my room.

Danielle was already waiting there to comfort me.

DEVAN'S POINT OF VIEW

What just happened?

"Come on, Rake, let's go," Someone said and gestured to the car.

I silently complied.

What did I do?

I thought that I had finally gotten there with her. I thought that that had meant that she liked me too. Did that mean nothing to her?

"Devan! You're back!" Melly said when I entered the house. "Where's Scout? And Leon?"

"Scout's staying with them. She kept Leon," I told her.

"What do you mean?"

"She decided to stay where she belongs."

"What?" Melly didn't believe me.

I went up to my room and locked myself in.

MELLY'S POINT OF VIEW

Why didn't Scout come back? Devan was mad, but he was also sad. Did something happen between them?

I gasped.

Something must've happened between them.

I immediately made arrangements to go to Chicago.

SCOUT'S POINT OF VIEW

I lay in bed the rest of the day. The next morning I was woken up by Wendy who told me that someone was here for me.

"Who?" I asked.

"I don't know. Miles just keeps saying that someone is here and says that they know you and demands to talk to you."

I dragged myself up and went to the door of the Loft.

"Miles," I said, letting him know I was here. "Who is here?"

"I don't know who she is," He told me. "She says that she knows you and needs to talk to you."

"She? What's her name?"

"I think she said Melanie."

"Let her in."