22. Handcuffs

On Monday morning when I woke up, as I stepped out of my room, three people went running past and down the stairs. I went downstairs to find someone to find out what is going on.

“Hey, Melly,” I caught her in the living room. “What happened?”

“It’s Kyle and Will,” She said. “They were out last night and they were attacked and are now being held for some kind of ransom. Where is Devan?”

She marched off to find Devan who was somewhere within all the people.

I moved off to the side where the other girls were standing.

“Why are there so many people?” I asked.

“Because it’s two of the top five, and they are very important,” Emmy answered. “Plus they have to prepare for a fight in case the other gang doesn’t cooperate.”

Suddenly the room fell into silence as Devan entered with Nate and Owen following close behind with Melly coming in shortly after.

“So,” Devan spoke with great authority. “Parker has Kyle and Will. And to get them back, they will be expecting quite a bit. Probably some exports, and most likely some territory. We are going to try to get around that as much as possible but that would mean angering them. We’re going to see what we can do for an exchange, but if they are asking too much, we will have to fight them to get them back.”

“That’s your plan?” I asked, thinking of a better way to get this done.

“Did I say you could speak?” Devan snapped at me and everyone else sent me disapproving looks.

“No,” I answered.

“Do you think you have something better that we could do?”

“Actually, yes.”

Devan rolled his eyes. “And what do you suggest we do?”

“Let Parker keep Kyle and Will.”

“That’s the stupidest thing that we could do.”

“I’m not done. Go there, and say that they can keep them. Automatically they will think that you are going to secretly attack, which of course you will."

“Scout, we don’t have time for whatever you’ve got to say.”

“Will you hear me out?”

“We aren’t in any rush,” Nate said.

Devan sent Nate a glare, but then said, “Fine.”

“So, you tell Parker that he can hold onto Kyle and Will. Then he will tighten up his security because he will be expecting you to try to take them back. Then, you will start a fight with them somewhere else. So then the best men that they have will be busy with that, while you are entering where Kyle and Will are and taking them back with the rest of their people.”