23. Punishment

Everyone left until it was just me and Owen, who was glaring at me like it was my fault he was stuck in this. Without saying a word, he began pulling me along out to his car.

“Where are we going?” I asked.

“Shut up.”

He had me climb in through the driver’s side to the passenger seat, and then he got in. Devan had the key so there was no way that we could unlock the handcuffs. Owen had no problem driving with one hand, and getting out he pretty much dragged me out. He led me to his apartment, which was in a rather trashy-looking building. But at the door, he stopped. The door was partially open.

He pulled the hood of my sweatshirt over my head, concealing my hair and face and he tugged down the sleeves of mine and his sweatshirt to cover the handcuffs and he held onto my hand so it wasn’t so suspicious that we were so close together.

“Keep your head down, stay close to me, and don’t make a sound,” He said.

I nodded to say I understood.

He opened the door and we found three men in the small room.

“Ah, Owen Sevrocks finally returns,” The man who was sitting on the couch said as he stood up.

“Miles,” Owen greeted him, not sounding happy.

“Let’s just get straight to it, shall we?” Miles motioned to the couch for us to sit down, but we remained standing. “So, do you have the money?”

“Not all of it,” Owen answered.

“How much do you have?”

“Only about two million.”

“You’re not making very good progress.”

“My income isn’t as good as Marcus’.”

“No, and he knows that. But, he wants the money sometime while he’s alive, so he’s putting up a due date. You have sixteen weeks to get it in.”

“Four months? How does he expect me to get eight million in four months?”

Miles shrugged. “You’ll have to get it somehow. I’m sure Devan has it somewhere.”

Owen glared at Miles.

“It could be like a Thanksgiving gift.”

Owen tightened his grip on my hand painfully.

“Now who do we have here?” Miles stepped up to me.

I lowered my head more and stepped behind Owen.

“Don’t be shy.”