35. Hold You

Melly was dancing around with Will, Kyle, and Nate in the kitchen when we got downstairs. I elbowed Devan and he just rolled his eyes.

They had nothing to do today, so we all just chilled all day.

DEVAN'S POINT OF VIEW

After dinner, Nate, Kyle, Melly, and Scout were dancing around the living room. I sat on the couch, just watching them have fun. Will sat next to me and nudged my arm.

"What?" I asked.

"I see you watching Scout," He said.

"So?"

He laughed and sat back. "She fancies you too."

"She does?"

"Do you not see the way she looks at you?"

I shook my head.

"Oh come on, Dev. Are you blind? Are you stupid?"

"What?" I was completely clueless as to what he was talking about now.

"Who was the only one she would get close to after she was raped? Who was the one she cried to after losing the child? Who is the one she goes to at night when she can't sleep?"

I bit my bottom lip as I glanced over to Scout who winked at me as she spun around.

"I told you," Will said.

"Since when have you been an expert on love?"

"You are the only one who hasn't seen it."

"I never thought that she would ever feel like that towards me."

"See what happens when you are actually nice and caring towards someone?"

I sighed. "But what about when she remembers everything? What if she doesn't want to stay here anymore then?"

"Give her a reason to want to stay."

We both watched the four people dance around, laughing and having a good time for a little while longer before we all decided to go to bed. I shut off the music and then got ready to lay down.

"Goodnight," Scout said to me from where she was standing at the door.

"You're not going to stay with me?" I asked.

"Um, no." She shuffled her feet.

"Why not?"

"Well, I feel like a little kid running to her father when she can't sleep."

I went up to her and held her hands in mine. "That's not how I see it. I like when you are with me." I pulled her with me to the bed. "Plus, I often have troubles sleeping as well. But not when you are here."

"Really?"

I nodded. "I sleep better when I have someone to hold."

She smiled at me as we lay down, covering up with the blankets.

"Especially someone as beautiful as you are," I added.

She cuddled up next to me, curving her body into mine.

"I was thinking on changing my hair again," She said.

"Why?"

"I'm kinda getting bored of the red."

"How often do you change your hair color?"

"I usually wait until I grow it out, but I'm just really impatient about it right now."

"What will you do this time?"

"I was thinking on just adding some blonde highlights."

I twisted a strand of her hair around my finger. "I can see that on you. It would be like how you were when you first got here, except you had brown hair before."

"Mhm." She yawned, her eyes drooping closed.

"Go to sleep. You can change your hair tomorrow."

She nodded. I kissed her cheek and settled in next to her, holding her close to me.

During the night she woke up crying. She sat up quickly, gasping and wrapping her arms tightly around herself. I sat up as well, holding her to my side.

"Shh, it's alright," I whispered to her.

"No, no it's not," She sobbed. "He came b-back." She sniffled. "He r-raped me ag-gain and then he f-found out that I got p-pregnant and he-he beat me and k-killed the child."

I hugged her close. "Don't worry. It was only a dream."

"B-but then he raped me again. And killed the child ag-gain. And he did it again, and again until he killed me."

She buried her face into my chest.

"Don't worry," I said to her. "I've got you. I'll protect you."

We lay back down, but she didn't fall asleep. She lay awake, looking around the room as if expecting to see someone.

"Close your eyes," I told her. "It's only us. I've got you."

She closed her eyes and tried to go back to sleep, but continued to sniffle, every so often taking a deep, shaky breath in.

So as I comforted, I sang her a lullaby that my mum used to sing to me when I couldn't sleep.

"Hush my darling

Close your eyes

I will hold you

Until sunrise

And if you should wake

In the night

I will be here

To hold you tight

Rest yourself

Right next to me

And lose yourself

To your dreams

I am here

Beside you

And I will stay

To keep you

You are safe

In my arms

Protected

From all harm

Though they may

Seem so far

You are near

To the stars

May your dreams

Be so sweet

Lay your head

Sleep in peace

Hush my darling

Close your eyes

I will hold you

Until sunrise."