Chapter 44: The Third hokage death

The next day I woke as if I wasn't just kidnapped yesterday, but I then remembered something.

'I kissed Kabuto yesterday.' I thought, feeling my face starting to turn red.

I paced around my room, wondering what I should do after kissing someone who was probably an enemy of the village.

"Hamako, " I heard Kakashi-sensei's voice from the other side of my bedroom door.

"What is it, Kakashi?" I asked, opening the door once I recovered from my blushing.

"Come eat breakfast, then start getting ready," he replied.

"Ready for what?"  I asked.

"The Third hokage died fighting Orochimaru today is the funeral," Kakashi-sensei replied.

'So he  died during the invasion while I being held by that Danzo guy.' I thought.

"Okay, I will be down in a few," I said.

Kakashi-sensei nodded and closed the door.

**

After a few minutes of clearing my mind of my kiss with Kabuto.

I headed downstairs to eat breakfast.

When I arrived in the kitchen, I saw a plate of pancakes and bacon sitting on the table with a note next to it.

I picked up the note and read it.

Hamako, I went out earlier to take care of something. If your reading this after you finish eating breakfast, go and get dressed and head out for the funeral.

"I wonder if any of them noticed that I was missing during the invasion," I said, placing the note back down before digging into my food.

**

I sigh after dressed in a black kimono and black pants that I grabbed out of my closet.

I looked at myself in the mirror and brushed my long white hair. I sighed again, feeling like this outfit was missing something

I looked over at my nightstand and grabbed the necklace Kabuto gave me.

"Perfect," I whispered as I put the necklace around my neck. "Just want I need to finish off this outfit even if I'm going to a funeral."

I exited my room and walked downstairs to the front door. I slipped on my shoes and walked outside of the house.

I looked at the dull cloudy sky and closed the front after taking a few steps. I was greeted by Naruto, Sakura, and Sasuke, who were waiting outside of my house.

We looked at each other briefly but didn't say anything before heading off toward the direction of the Hokage Tower, where the funeral was held for the Hokage and All those who had fallen in battle.

It was the day after Orochimaru-sensei attacked the village and the day after Kabuto saved me from Danzo.

The whole village was gathered at the Hokage Tower, I was standing next to Naruto as we looked at the front where a picture of the Third Hokage was placed, and the village elders were standing next to it.

I looked up when I felt water hit me and saw it was raining.

"Rain..." A female voice said.

"Even the heavens start to weep," A male voice said.

I continued to stare at the sky as I thought about Kabuto, wondering when I would see him again.

"We will now begin the memorial service," The female elder announced gravely. "For the Sandaime Hokage, who lost his life in the battle, as well as the other victims of this battle."

I continue to stare at the wake with my usual bored expression. As people went up one by one, placing down flowers in front of the Sandaime picture. I glanced over at Konohamaru, who stood between Naruto sobbing for his grandfather's loss.

Iruka-sensei moved forward and placed his hand on Konohamaru's shoulder to comfort him. I focus my attention back towards the front.

I wasn't close to Sandaime Hokage, so I wasn't sad like everyone else, but I do feel bad that Orochimaru-sensei killed him. Yet I can't help but still care about him.

'This must be how Haku felt about Zabuza.'  I thought, looking up at the sky.

I snapped out of my thoughts as I walked up to the picture of the Sandaime hokage and placed my flower down.

I thought back to the day I first came to the village, and the Sandaime Hokage allowed me to stay in the village. I was greatful for him giving me a chance to find a new home,  but I was then mad at him when he made ANBU watch me for a little. A bit after finding out, two rogue ninjas trained me.

I then walked back over to my spot next to Naruto after placing my flower.

"Iruka Sensei..." Naruto said. Iruka looked up from where he was now, comforting a more calm-down Konohamaru. "Why do people risk their lives for other people?"

I rubbed my fingers against my necklace.

"When a person dies..." Iruka replied. "Their past, their present life, and their future disappear along with them. Many people die doing their duty and fighting in battle... and shockingly easily too. Just like Hayate did. Those who pass away also have dreams and ambitions. But everyone has something else just as important."

"Parents, siblings, friends, lovers... Those who are dear to them. They trust each other and help each other, the people who they cherish. And that string which connects those people becomes stronger and thicker as time goes on... It can't be explained. Those you hold those strings just do It because it is important to them."

"I kind of understand," Naruto replied. I glanced at him. "But it's painful when someone dies." He said as I looked away.

"The Sandaime didn't die for nothing," Kakashi said. " He left something important to all of us. You understand that someday."

"I think I kind of understand, too," Naruto said.

I looked up as the sky began to clear up.

"The rain stopped," I muttered as people began to leave.

**

I was walking with my team after leaving the wake.

"Hey, Hamako!" Naruto said.

"What is it, Naruto?" I asked.

"Where did you get that necklace from?" He asked.

"Oh, this was," I said, looking at my necklace. "Was given to me yesterday by someone special to me," I replied.

"Speaking of yesterday, where were you during the attack?" Sakura asked.

'So Kabuto really was the only one who sensed I was in trouble.' I thought.

"It doesn't matter. I'm going for a walk. You have fun at lunch," I said, walking off, a little upset they didn't notice me missing, especially Naruto. Who I was at first, possibly the guy I wanted to be, my boyfriend at one point.

'Yesterday show that Kabuto was the one for me. Next time I see him, I will ask him out.'

💛💛💛

Hey lovely readers!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think.

Q: What was your favorite part of this chapter?

Q: When do you think Hamako will see Kabuto again?

Q: How do you think she will handle dating the enemy of the Hidden Leaf village?

Thanks for reading!

Word Count: 1184

Edited: 6/20/22