Chapter 8: Journey to the Land of Waves

Hamako's P.O.V

"Hamako at point A," I said, bored.

"Sasuke at point B."

"Sakura, I'm at point C."

"... Naruto, I'm at point D. Believe it!"

"You're slow, Naruto," Kakashi reprimanded him through the headset. "Okay, Squad 7...hm...the target has moved! Follow it!"

I crept through the trees quickly, careful with my eyes narrowed in concentration, trying to keep my eyes trained on the cat named Tora movements.

"What's your position?" Kakashi asked.

"Five meters," Naruto answered."I'm ready; just give the signal."

"Three meters," I replied steadily. "I'm ready whenever you are."

"I'm ready too," Sauske said.

"So am I," Sakura said.

"Okay... Now!" Kakashi sensei yelled.

We all try and grab the target. Naruto is the one to grab it.

"I got him! I got him!" Naruto exclaimed.

The cat in his arms hiss and fights back.

"Wow," I said, looking at the cat.

Sakura watches Naruto and the cat.

"Can you identify the red ribbon on the right ear?" Kakashi sensei asked.

"Ah! Ow. Aaaaaahhaah!" Naruto continues to yell until I finally get the cat off him and pet behind it left ear to calm it down.

"Affirmative. We've got a positive ID," Sasuke replied.

"Right. Lost pet Tora was captured. Mission accomplished," Kakashi Sensei said.

"Can't we get a better mission than this? I HATE CATS!" Naruto yelled.

"Oh, quit your yelling," I said with a sigh.

**

We are now back at the Hokage's office.

Oooohhh! My poor little Tora, Mommy was so worried about her naughty little fuzzykins. Yes!" The owner said, squishing the cat.

"No wonder it ran away," Sakura said.

"Now then, for Squad 7's next mission, we have several available tasks. Ahh, among them babysitting Chief counselor's 3-year-old, helping his wife to do the shopping, digging up potatoes, a--" Naruto cuts off Lord Hokage.

"I want to go on a real mission! Something challenging and exciting, not this little kid stuff! Come on, old man!" Naruto yelled.

'He an idiot. Sometimes I wonder why I even talk to him?' I thought with a sigh.

"How dare you! You're just a brand new Genin with no experience. Like everyone else, you start with simple missions to develop your skills and prove yourself!" Iruka sensei yelled.

"Are you serious? Babysitting is not a mission! It's just a stupid--gaaah!" Kakashi Sensei hits him on the head.

"Could you put a lid on it?" He said tired of Naruto's complaints.

"Naruto!" Lord Hokage yelled.

"Ahh!" Naruto yelled in pain as he sat up.

"It seems that you don't understand the task you have been given, " Lord Hokage said as Naruto rubbed the back of his head.

Naruto goes silent and looks up at Lord Hokage.

"Listen. Many different kinds of requests come into our village every day, from babysitting to assassinations. These requests are carefully recorded, analyzed, then ranked A, B, C, or D. Depending on their difficulty. We ninja are also ranked by ability. Hokage at the top, Jounin, Chunin, and Genin at the bottom. At the highest level, we select the missions and assign them to Ninja who have the appropriate skill and experience, and if the mission is successful, we receive a fee that supports the village and our work. Since you are an untried genin just starting at the Shinobi path. You are given D-level assignments, of course. Hmm?" He paused, hearing someone else talking.