Chapter 23: Tenth question

Hamako was already halfway through her exam. The question proved to be very advanced for genin to be able to answer. But of course, Hamako is not your average genin.

Hamako narrowed her eyes as she read the following few questions and saw it was getting harder. Then her eyes widened when she realized the point of the exam.

'They want us to cheat. That is why the questions get even more challenging. A shinobi must be able to gather information without being caught. I won't need to cheat through 8
I can easily answer these questions.' Hamako thought as she continued writing her answers.

**

People were dropping like flies, and time was still ticking. Hamako just finished answering her last question and put her pencil down. She looked around the room and saw everyone had picked up on the fact that Ibiki and the others were encouraged them to cheat. She then noticed that Kabuto was close to finishing his own exam.

Her purples eyes watched him, impressed with how smart he actually was. She had a feeling he was more intelligent than Naruto but didn't think he would be able to answer the question without cheating. Then again, she shouldn't be surprised. This is his seven-time taking the exam.

'He very smart. He's so much better than Naruto. I know I said this several times, but Naruto is just too dumb sometimes. It always makes me wonder why I even like him.' Hamko thought.

"Uh, excuse me."

A familiar voice snapped Hamako out of her thoughts. It was Kankuro, the guy who had harassed Konohamaru on the streets.

"What?" One of the sentinels growled at him.

"Gotta use the can, sorry."

Hamako tuned him out and rested her head on the table, waiting for the tenth question to be given.

**

When there were exactly fifteen minutes left before the end of the exam, Ibiki's authoritative voice caught every genin's attention. It was time for the final question.

"Alright, listen up! Here's the tenth and final question!"

Hamako lifted her head and narrowed her eyes, ready to hear the final question. She didn't know how her team was doing, and she just hoped they figured out the point of the exam.

"But, before I give you the question, there are some more rules you need to be aware of," Ibiki informed the room that seemed to be even quieter than when they were writing. 

'There more rules, huh? I wonder what last-minute mind games he has up his-- ' Hamako thought before she was suddenly snapped out of her thoughts.

The sound of the classroom door opening jumped off the walls of the otherwise quiet area. Most of the contestants turned around to see that Kankuro had returned from his bathroom break. The boy had a confused look on his face as he acted innocent, but Hamako had a feeling he was up to something.

'That sentinel didn't come back with him. That's kind of odd, but maybe not. I remember correctly the Sand is known for the puppet master justu. It was probably a puppet this whole time.' Hamako thought before turning back around.

"Ah, made it just in time. I hope you found your trip to the bathroom enlightening. Take your seat." Ibiki ushered the boy to his seat, "These rules are unique to question ten; listen carefully, and try not to let them frighten you." 

Hamako leaned forward, placing her fiat against her cheek, and waited to see what the man had to say.

"Rule number one, each of you is free to choose not to be given the final question; it's your decision."