Chapter 20: Rookie 10

Third person's P.O.V

There it was, the entrance to Chūnin Exams, room 301. Sasuke, Naruto, Sakura, and Hamako all stood side by side as they stared at the door ahead of them. 

"I see. Glad you came, Sakura." Kakashi-sensei spoke to his students as he stood in front of the door. "For your sake, and the others."

Sakura and the rest of the team glanced at each other, confused at their sensei's words. What did he mean by that?

"Now, you can all formally register for the Chūnin Exams." Kakashi declared. Sakura was the one who spoke up for herself and her confused teammates. 

"Why? What do you mean, sensei?"

"You see, only squads of three, or in our case four, are allowed to apply for and take the exams; it's always been this way."

"But sensei, you said that taking the exam was up to the individual," Sakura recalled the man's words. 

"That's right, I did,"

"So, you lied?" Sakura asked. 

"Yes, I did sort of," Kakashi admitted before explaining his reason for doing so. "It is an individual decision, but it affects all of you. I didn't tell you before because I didn't want your teammates pressuring you."

'I guess that makes sense. She did seem nervous at first, but she seems different today. I still hate that he lied but gets no punishment. I don't tell the whole truth about my past, and I get ANBU, but luckily I didn't sense yesterday are at all today. I guess they are busy thanks to the chunin exams.' Hamako thought.

"At the same time, I didn't want you to feel obliged to enter because of any feelings you might have for Sasuke, Naruto, or Hamako. I wanted you to decide on your own free will," Kakashi-sensei said, looking directly at Sakura.

"So, If  I hadn't shown up today, but the others had," Sakura's sentence began to rail off, and Kakashi finished it for her. 

"It would have been the end of the line. I wouldn't have let the others in, but you all came here on your own will." Kakashi's tone changed to a serious one as he looked at his four students.

"Sakura,"

Sakura blinked as she looked up with flushed cheeks as her sensei called her name. Kakashi's eye drifted to the next of his students.

"Naruto."

Naruto fiddled with his headband as a toothy grin appeared on his face. Kakashi looked at the following student.

"Sasuke."

The boy had his signature confident smirk on his face as he placed his hand in his pocket nonchalantly.

"And Hamako," 

The girl fiddled with the scroll that had Zabuza's sword inside of it. She was thinking of when she would actually use this sword.

"I'm proud of you. I couldn't ask for a better team. Now then, in you go. And good luck." Kakashi-sensei stepped out of the way, no longer blocking the entrance to the next chapter in their lives as shinobi.

"We won't let you down, sensei, dattebayo!"

Team seven all shared a glance and a nod. Sasuke pushed open the doors, and all four of them entered, leaving their sensei behind to himself.

**

"W-What's this . . ." Naruto asked as he gulped down his fear.

"Guess we're not alone," Sakura muttered as she looked around the room.