Chapter 32: Surviving the Cut! The Rookie Ten Together Again!

Third person's P.O.V

"First off, congratulations on passing the Second Exam," Anko said. Hamako was standing with her team in a large arena. The jounin sensei, Ibiki, and Anko had gathered in the tower with the Hokage for the following announcement.

The Hokage was standing in the middle, right across from the genins who were lined in columns, on a slightly raised floor. Anko and Ibiki stood on either side with Chunins, including Iruka, while the Jounin leaders of the teams stood behind the Hokage.

"I'm hungry," Choji muttered.

Hamako glanced over at the Sound Jounin and was curious what he was up to now. Knowing that it was Orochimaru.

"There's still this many people left? How troublesome," Shikamaru grumbled.

Hamako then glanced at Kabuto's team and wondered how strong his teammates were. Since Kabuto, himself seems pretty strong himself.

"All of the rookies are here," Sakura said to herself.

'All the rookies did make it guess that impressive that we beat the older ninja that we're in the exam.' Hamako thought.

"Hey,  old man Hokage, Iruka-Sensei, and even brushy-brow here," Naruto whispered to his teammates. "Feels like everyone important is here."

"I don't have a good feeling about this," Sasuke said. Hamako nodded in agreement with Sasuke.

"We will now have an explanation of the Third Exam from Hokage-Sama," Anko called. "Everyone better listen well," She turned to the Hokage. "Hokage-Sama, please do the honors," Hiruzen nodded at her and stepped ahead. He cleared his throat slightly.

"The Third Exam will begin," Hiruzen informed. "But before we begin, there's one thing I want to make clear to all of you. It's about the true purpose of this exam, and why we do a joint exam with the allied nations. 'To maintain good relations with the allied nations' and 'Heighten the level of the ninja'... Do not let those reasons deceive you. This 'exam,' so to speak, is..." The Genins were confused. After a while of silence, Hiruzen spoke up again. "The representation of a war between the allied nations."

"What do you mean?" Tenten asked.

"If we go back through history, the allied nations right now were..." Hiruzen started. "Neighbouring countries that have fought each other repeatedly... To avoid wasting military power, those countries decided to choose a place to fight. That is the beginning of the Chunin Selection Exam."

"Why do we have to do that?" Naruto asked. "We're not doing this to select Chunins?"

"Yes, this Exam does examine those who are worthy of the Chunin title," Hiruzen replied. "But, on the other hand, it's also a place where ninjas fight and carry the pride of their Nation."

"Nation pride...?" Sakura asked.

"In this Third Exam, feudal lords and famous people from various countries who may be potential clients are invited here as guests," Hiruzen answered. "And feudal lords from countries with hidden villages and Ninja leaders will see your battles. If there's a significant difference in power, the strong country will be flooded with jobs.

"If a country is seen as weak, their jobs will decrease, and at the same time, countries are able to show how their village has grown and possessed excellent military power to the adjacent countries. In other words, they can put foreign pressure on them."

"So why do we have to fight with the risk of losing our lives?" Kiba said.

"A country's power is the village's power," Hiruzen said. "A village's power is the ninja's power, and a ninja's true power is only born in a life-or-death battle. This Exam is also a place to show off the ninja power of one's country. Since this is an exam where you fight with your life on the line, it has a meaning, and your predecessors have fought and dreamed of being in the Chunin Exam because of it."

"But why do you say it is to promote good relations?" Tenten asked.

"I told you at the beginning to not get it confused with that," Hiruzen said. "The custom of shaving one's life and fighting to maintain balance... That is a good relation in the world of ninja. This is a life-or-death battle for your dream and village's pride."

"Well, he sure convinced me," Naruto said with his arms crossed. Hamako shook her at Naruto's behavior.

"Any test is fine," Gaara said with narrowed eyes."Just tell me the details of the exam are already."

"Then I will now begin the explanation of the Third Exam, but..." Hiruzen said as he cleared his throat once more. Suddenly, another person jumped ahead and bowed in front of Hiruzen on his knee.

"Excuse me, Hokage-Sama..." He said. "I, Hayate Gekko, the proctor, will explain," Hayate Gekko had short brown hair, dark-colored eyes, and dark markings under his eyes. Hamako looked at him, wondering what was up with him.

"Please do," Hiruzen said. Gekko stood up straight, putting his arms behind his back, which was facing the Genins.

"Everyone, it's nice to meet you," Gekko said as he looked over at the genin. "Everyone, before the Third Exam..." He coughed. "There's something I want you to do..." He coughed again.

💛💛💛

Hey lovely readers!

I hope you enjoyed this chapter.

Don't hesitate to let me know what you think of this story.

Also, don't forget to vote and comment.

Q: What was your favorite part of this chapter?

Q: Do you think Haku will be able to help Hamako with all the thoughts running through her head?

Q: Who is ready for the preliminary rounds to start?

Thanks for reading!

Word Count: 1449

Edited: 6/19/22