Chapter 28

Chapter 28: The Gods' Visit

Returning to Hogwarts was quite the ordeal.

Apparently, while he'd been away, his brother had become the Slytherin Heir- which, what??

Trouble seemed to follow his family everywhere.

However, because of Harry's incident during the Duelling Club, he was able to find out that his brother could talk with snakes. Finally, he wasn't the only one able to hear animals with weird and strong opinions (I'm talking about you, Blackjack!).

Though, he wasn't able to say much about it, because Harry, having passed such a complicated winter break without his brother, was still resenting him for going away, and wouldn't talk to him a lot.

After all these years, Percy had finally been subjected to the globally common, most fatal (but harmless) pre-teenager tactic: The Silent Treatment.

*Sigh* teengers.

Like he wasn't miserable enough after his perfect winter break.

While he'd been able to talk with Moony about everything that'd happened, he still hadn't gotten over the guilt and pain of losing someone close to him. He still looked for the Huntress Constellation every time he couldn't sleep- which was becoming more and more frequent, as nightmares filled with petrified people that wouldn't get up, and the lifeless face of the ones he'd lost during the winter plagued his mind- even when he drank the Sleeping Draught Potion.

And then he'd remember Zoë and her last words, while she slowly faded away into the stars. And he'd remember Bianca's bright smile, while she lived the life she'd always wanted; and he'd hope both of them would forgive him for not being able to save them.

If only it wasn't for the seal of his magic powers, maybe everything could've gone differently. If only he was strong enough.
If only...

The more those thoughts filled his mind, the more regrets he'd have. But, also, the more eager he'd be to become better.

Thus, he'd find himself training his magic at literally any time available, in hopes of getting more proficient at it while he could; and promising himself he'd train his swordmanship and his demigod powers as soon as he had the chance.

And, at least, when everything got to be too much, when he'd pass out from overexerting or the fatigue after dreamless nights, he still had people with him that'd take away his mind from the events of the winter, and the events that were to come.

Percy Jackson wasn't strong enough by himself, but he didn't really need to be. After all, he had people that he could rely on. People who gave him the power to look forward to the future, to never give up.

Sometimes the Heroes need saviours too, and, in this case, the saviours were his best friends and his family, the people most close to his heart. Even if they themselves didn't realise it.

For example, his troublesome group of friends would constantly distract his mind with pranks- sometimes to ask him for help to create them, sometimes to make him clean after them, and sometimes to become the subject of them-; and with the endless jokes about the white streak in his hair, which went from laughing at him for his "weird taste in fashion", to actually getting it for themselves.

Admittedly, for the twins, a white streak didn't really match among their flaming red hair, but they seemed too happy with it to care.

And with that, between dealing with an angry younger brother, the crushing memories of the past, the training to become better, and the task of dealing with his troublesome friend group, some time passed.