Chapter 16

Chapter 16: The Good Side of Third Year

What was the biggest difference for Percy Jackson in third year?

Harry Potter was with him.

This proved to make Percy's life a little harder. He needed to be in constant watch for those who wanted to hurt his little brother.

Like death eaters, teachers and students.

Additionaly, Percy Jackson had to keep his true heritage a secret. Which meant lying to everyone he knew, except from Moony.

Since the beginning, he had the feeling that this was going to be a difficult year.

At least, though, he was doing excellent in his studies at Hogwarts, which Hecate explained that it had to do with his more powerful lineage. Apparently, having the blood of a wizard and a God made you inmmensely capable of performing spells.

On the other hand, his training with Hecate was becoming more and more difficult. But, nevertheless, he kept going.

If he wanted to protect those around him, which he did, he needed to give his best at turning into a magnificent wizard. That's why he also kept having extra lessons, like Basics of Occlumency with Snape.

And, of course, this also proved to be troublesome. But, then again, is there even a thing in Percy's life that isn't troublesome?

Occlumency was't the nicest thing a boy of 13 years old could do to spend his free time. Especially if it was with a man like Severus Snape.

The practical lessons, even if they hadn't yet had many of them, held lots of risks. First, Percy had to avoid being discovered as a demigod. Second, he had to avoid being revealed as a Potter. And third, he had to keep out all the bad memories of his abuse.

Meaning? He was screwed from the beginning.

***

"Percyyyy he totally hates me. Is a teacher even allowed to do that?" Asked Harry Potter, complaining to his brother about the lesson he just had.

"Harry, he is like that with everyone. Snape doesn't have love for his students in his heart... Well, I don't even know if he has a heart" Percy sighed.

"That's not true" said the Weasley twins, butting in the conversation.

"He is good" said Feorge.

"With you" finished Gred.

Percy glared at them.

"Well, but that's only because I am forced to spend more time with him in the extra lessons" he answered them.

"Either way, he hates me! And he always tries to embarrass me" exclaimed Harry, defeated because of the situation. His days at Hogwarts would certainly improve a lot if the potions teacher was fired.

Sadly, it wasn't happening anytime soon.

"Then, why don't you prepare yourself? You know, study a bit more, and then you'll be the one to embarrass him" said Percy.

To him, Snape wasn't that bad... Well, he was, but Percy was convinced there had to be good in him, somewhere. Though the fact that he was constantly ridiculing his brother didn't help with his case.

Still, Percy believed that, when people acted like him, it was because they had suffered something terrible. And they weren't able to get over that.

That was what he believed happened to Snape... Maybe to Luke Castellan, as well.

And, that was what he believed would've happened to him, after all those years of abuse, if it wasn't for Harry.

That's why he was so set on protecting him. He had made a promise, and he wasn't planning to break it anytime soon.

***

Third year started with trouble, as it always happened. But something Percy remembers better than anything in that year wasn't related to that. Not even one bit.

It was the first time he felt he really was helpful to someone. Aside from protecting Harry, that is.

"H-Hi... I-I was wondering if you wanted... N-No, sorry, not wanted, b-but if you are w-willing to... If you're willing to teach me some spells"

Percy looked at the first year hufflepuff girl in front of him, stunned. She was really nervous, and her face was starting to get a little red. But, that didn't matter; after all, someone had just asked him to teach!

Now, I don't think you realise what this meant: someone who he didn't know had just put enough trust in him to teach them. Him. The boy who used to be bullied for not being able to read properly.

The boy who was marked as "stupid".

The boy they once said was useless. Worthless. Never enough.

And she, a girl he barely knew, was finally breaking some of this belief. Because finally, Percy Jackson found what he could do for others.

He found out he could be helpful with something he actually was decent at.

And that, my friends, is a thing that all of us wish for, but not everyone has the privilege of finding. Maybe, for once, the Fates decided to be kind with him.

This marked the beginning of his new "study group", which consisted of him explaining spells, theory and everything magic-related he knew to the people who were confused about a subject or a particular topic. It started with that hufflepuff girl in the library, but, soon enough, he was teaching multiple students from all houses.

And, of course, this didn't end there.

Because of his sudden recognition, even some older students came to him, both to challenge his knowledge and ask him for explanations they themselves didn't get.

Percy, even if he was more advanced than his current year, wasn't in the highest level; so, when a student asked him something he didn't know, he instead asked Hecate to teach him in his dreams.

This way, he got to learn even more, and became somewhat popular (though, if you asked him, he'll deny it).

And that's how his third year concluded... Well, only if you leave aside all the trouble he had.

After all, he was a 13 year old wizard boy, who was also a descendant from the god Poseidon, and older brother of what the world proclaimed as "The Boy Who Lived".

You really can't expect his life to be easy and free from problems, can you?