Chapter 8

Chapter 8: The Magic Square

It was the morning of the 27th of August, probably not the best day to go shopping for supplies, seeing as the school term started few days later.

Percy and Harry Potter were getting ready to leave Moony's house, until said person called them to the living room.

"Before we go, I need to tell you something important about the night your parents died" He said, straightforward. His voice was cold, and the atmosphere turned dark after his words "Specifically, the man who murdered them"

"What about it?" Asked Percy, taking a seat at one of the couches.

"You must know something about him, Percy" said Moony. The oldest brother nodded "But, for Harry's sake, I'll tell it from the beginning.

He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, the Dark Lord, started terrorizing wizards and witches all over the world, even before your parents got out of school. He killed thousands of people, trying to get rid of the muggle borns, the ones without a magical lineage, and preserve only the pure-bloods.

There was no-one that could stop him or his followers, the Death Eaters.

However, there was a prophecy about how he would fall from the blood born under the Lion. Because of this, he prepared to kill all kids birthed between July and August.

That's why, unfortunately, he tried to kill you"

"But he failed" Interrupted Harry, with a solemn expression on his face.

"Yes, he did" Agreed Moony "But the circumstances aren't totally clear. The news reported about him shooting the killing curse to you, Harry, and the spell bouncing. After that, there was a scar left in your forehead, and he is presumably dead... Though it is not certain.

The thing is, because of you doing that, you are famous worldwide in the magic world for defeating the Dark Lord, and being the 'boy who lived' "Finished Moony.

"What? I thought it was something more simple, like falling off of my crib" said Harry" besides, if that's the case, Percy also survived the curse"

"What?" Moony answered, surprised by the sudden revelation. The news didn't even mention the existence of his godson, much less the fact that he also survived the curse "Did it leave you a scar too?"

Percy just nodded. The scar was on his back, behind his belly button, as a result of shielding Harry. Strangely enough, it was shaped like three horizontal lines, resembling the number in Roman or an incomplete trident... But they probably were just three unrelated lines.

He decided to show the scar to Moony when they were alone. After all, he couldn't let Harry see the scars their uncle left on his skin.

"Okay... I wasn't informed of that. But it can turn out to be better if we keep it a secret" said Moony who, after watching the questioning stares of the children, proceeded to explain "Even if the Dark Lord was presumed dead, there's still a chance that he isn't. And, if that happens to be the case, then he will surely go after the Potter brothers to finish what he started, unless he doesn't actually know who they are.

Percy is going to start Hogwarts soon, but nobody knows about his existence, because the news didn't mention him. We could use this to our favor changing his last name to prevent the Dark Lord, if he is still alive, or the Death Eaters from making the connection and targeting Harry through him-"

"So, basically I lie about my identity to keep them from finding me and Harry?" asked Percy, after processing what his godfather had said.

"Exactly" He responded.

"I'm sorry for bursting your bubble, but the plan will crumble once they see us in Diagon Alley or somewhere else together" Percy said.

The answer was obvious, but neither of them wanted to mention it. Harry had been really enthusiastic to go shopping with them, but after receiving the new information... Maybe it was better for him not to go.

It was hard to settle, but Harry finally agreed to stay in Moony's house. Percy felt a little sorry for him, although he knew it was for his safety. Even after all those years, the Dark Wizards still roamed around, trying to target the "boy who lived" to take revenge for their master's demise.

With a goodbye, the werewolf and his godson left the house by apparating.

***

Diagon Alley was something far more amazing than anything Percy had seen in his life. The shopping place for wizards and witches was bursting with energy from the people walking through it.

Harry would have loved it.

First, after making a quick stop at the Gringotts Bank, where Moony explained the economy system to Percy and got some coins out of his vault to buy the supplies (he said that, because he didn't have James blood, the Potters vault wouldn't open to him, even with the key), they started their little odyssey.

The robes and the materials were the easy part. After those, they went to the bookstore, where Percy discovered that, for some reason, he could easily read the ones written in Ancient Greek, so, with a bit of convicing to Moony, they bought the first years books in the forgotten language.

Later, they decided to stop in the pet shop, where Percy, being the stubborn child he was, got a cat instead of an owl, ignoring Moony's suggestion. The real reason for that, though, was that he got a weird feeling, believing that the owls hated him.

Finally, he arrived at an old wand shop, something along the lines of Ollywanders, and entered alone.

Inside, there were rows of boxes in what seemed like bookshelves. If he had to guess, that was where the wands were. The place was covered in dust, with the dim light creating a mysterious atmosphere.

Suddenly, an extremely old man appeared in front of him, coming out of nowhere and giving him a little heart-attack. He smiled at him, examining Percy with his eyes.

"Hi, i'm here to get my wand" He said, awkwardly. That sentence sounded really weird for him, in many ways.

Without uttering a word, the man turned around and disappeared into the shadows. Was Percy supposed to wait for him or something?

After some really uncomfortable seconds, the old man returned with at least 10 boxes floating behind him. He opened the first one, and said:

"Dominant hand!" Percy, without fully understanding him, lifted his left hand up, even if he was ambidextrous.

This way, his adventure began. Wand after wand, each one getting something in the store broken or wet, until finally the right one appeared.

"Try this one" the old man said " Phoenix Feather core, 10", Willow wood and slightly flexible. Well, give it a wave!"

Percy expected this to go like the rest of the wands, so he was surprised when a dim light enveloped the shop, and some of the things he had broken before fixed themselves. That wand was the right one.

"Very interesting, indeed" the old man said, mysteriously as always "Remember, Perseus, the wand chooses the wizard, not the other way around" with that, he disappeared in the big shop.

Percy was only left with with confusion. What was that about the "wand chooses"? And how the bloody hell did that old man know his name?

Shaking his head, he excited the shop, not before placing a few coins in the counter to pay for the wand.

Returning to the house, Percy briefly greeted Harry, and, after telling him all about that magic square, he started making arrangements and reading some of his new books.

Hogwarts was around the corner, and he was set on being prepared for it.