Chapter 12.

After that awkward night, I was surprised when the next morning, Paul was cheery and nicer than ever. Very welcoming. I was putting butter on my toast when he strolled into the kitchen, dressed and whistling a tune, pouring himself some coffee. He smiled at me and took a seat. I blinked.

"Um, hi."

"Hiya. Beautiful morning innit??"

I nodded and looked out the window at the rainy weather. He was on to something.

"Paul?"

"Hmmm?" He looked up at me with a sweet look on his face. I couldn't help but to feel a little shy now. It was that look that got me pregnant in the first place.

"I um...I'm going to be a bit busy today and well, I might be out most of the afternoon since I have somewhere to be after the doctors appointment. Do you think maybe you can take Martha along with you...."

"Sure. I'd love to! A beautiful dog like Martha shouldn't be all cooped up in a silly flat like this all day." He smiled. I leaned over and kissed his cheek.

"Thank you Paul."

He blushed and took a drink of his coffee. standing up, I made myself some more toast and poured myself some orange juice. He looked at his watch and stood up, fixing the collar of his shirt. I walked over and helped him, standing on my tip toes to match his height. He smiled at this and watched me as I concentrated. The smell of his cologne filled the small space between us. My eyes looked at his and quickly away when I noticed him staring back. The knock on the door making us both jump.

"You should get that." I said stepping back. He nodded and left the room to check who it was. I peeked out to see John and Paul whispering. It sounded like arguing until they stopped. Paul sighed and called Martha along. He saw me watching.

"I'll be back at five."

I nodded. "Alright. Have a great day."

He gave me a small smile and left out the door. I bit my lip and shrugged at the odd scene.

..

Richard never came by. I showered, dressed and called the number of the doctor Paul left me. I rescheduled for twelve thirty and made my way off with guitar case in hand. The great thing about living with Paul, I had my own vehicle to drive. Well not mine per say. But he let me take his down to where I needed to go.

At noon sharp, I arrived at the club for my audition and played my heart out for Michael. He clapped and gladly gave me the job. I was excited to finally be doing something I love again. Next stop, the doctor.

When I arrived, I noticed lots of pregnant woman sitting and waiting to be checked out. I took a seat and waited my turn. Some were bigger than others. Some looked like they were in pain. Others were calm and rubbing their tummy with content. I looked down at my flat stomach and sighed. Soon.....

"Sadie??" The doctor called out with a clipboard in hand. I stood up and walked over, slowly walking inside the small room.

..

I walked out of the office, a nervous look on my face. My hand on my stomach as I made it to the car. I sat and just took a few breaths. What would Paul think when I tell him? Will he be happy? Disappointed? Angry? No...of course he wouldn't be angry. I was scared more than anything.

When I arrived back at the house, I got out and ran up the drive to avoid the rain. Richard was outside, sitting on the steps, ignoring the fact he was getting soaked.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Sadie. We neee to talk." He stood up. I lost my smile and nodded, leading us into dry warmth.

"I'm sorry I wasn't able to meet you this morning. I was a bit busy with erm...somethin." he took his coat off. I nodded and flicked the lights on, only to find them not working.

"I understand Richard. You have a family..."

"I feel like a prick. This morning, Maureen thought'd it'd be a good idea to send our son Zak, off with a nanny so we could have a little alone time. While making love I....I said your name." He blushed. "It just felt right. Your name coming out of my lips. Especially in such an intimate moment."

I let a small smile escape my lips and soon, I was walking in front of him. He looked down at me and looked into my eyes.

"We talked." I whispered.

"What?"

"The day before, we made love. Yesterday, we talked. Today..." I gave a coy smile. He caught on quickly and pulled me into a kiss. I held onto his hands and parted my lips, letting him take me over.

"The bedroom." I nodded upstairs. He smiled and picked me up and led us up to a waiting bed.

..

Richard rested his head on his hand, hovering over me as I laid back. The sheet covering my naked frame. He traced my collar bone with his finger. My body tingling at his touch.

We must have spent over two hours here in bed. Making love and enjoying our time together. My eyes met his and soon, our lips were locked. I giggled as we kissed, my fingers in his hair. He moved back slowly, stroking the side of my face.

"Sadie? What's bothering you?"

"Is it that obvious?"

He nodded and watched me sit up. He followed and waited for me to begin.

"I went to the doctor earlier for a check up. He found something while doing the blood test and during the monitoring...."

"What??" He asked worriedly. I sighed and rested my hand on my stomach.

"There's two."

His let a sigh of relief out and chuckled. "Christ Sadie. I thought ye 'ad cancer or somethin!"

"Twins Richard! Two babies! This makes....this changes everything. Mine and Paul's agreement...the seperation."

"Sadie you're making too much of this. So what you're having twins? Twice the love yeah?"

I stayed silent and shook my head. "Twice the responsibility. More to care for. More money I need to spend. Richard with one I was worried but...two!?"

"Shhh...Sadie love, you'll be alright." He wrapped me in his arms and held me tight. Our naked bodies pressed against one anothers.

"I'll be all alone. They'll be alone." I pouted. Richard stayed silent and just rocked me back and forth. I loved how warm his embrace was. Not cold or full of pity. I knew he really cared. I just wish Paul was the same.

........