Chapter 49.

I sat in the waiting room for the doctor. The small television in the corner the only sound in the room. Other people sitting around reading the paper, doing crossword puzzles or just napping.

Paul walked into the room, handing me a coffee. I sighed in relief and gave him a small smile.

"Thank you. How much longer will this take?"

He sat next to me and held my hand. "They need to run tests to see what's wrong. Hopefully it's nothing serious. Has anything like this ever happened before?"

I shook my head. "Never. I just don't want anything to happen to my little girl. She was so happy today and..." My voice began to break. Paul pulled me against him and whispered everything would be alright.

We waited until we saw the doctor come in.

"You can see your daughter now."

We stood up and were led to her room. I stopped just before we entered.

"Doctor um...I need to know what's wrong. Is she alright? I mean nothing serious is wrong with her??"

The doctor smiled. "She's fine miss Montgomery. Just dehydration and a little anxiety. She'll have to take some medication. Here's her prescription." He handed me a note. I took it and looked it over.

"Thank you so much. I was just so scared and..."

"You did the right thing. Even if it is late, most parents would wait until morning and something more severe would happen by then. She's a shy little one isn't she? She can leave as soon as you all are ready." He chuckled. "Call me if you need anything."

I nodded and made my way into the room. Anita sitting up and smiled when she saw us.

"Mommy! Daddy!"

Paul walked over and kissed her cheek. "How are ye feeling??"

"Much better. My arm not so much." She pouted.

"How about now??" Paul kissed her arm over and over again. She giggled.

"Daddy stop it!"

"Look who I brought." I smiled, pulling her doll out of my purse.

"Miss Lulu!" She held her arms out. She hugged her dolly and leaned up as I gave her a kiss.

"You ready to go home?" I asked. She nodded and giggled as Paul picked her up and talked to her. I just watched them and couldn't help feeling heartbroken.
..

"Go go lay down. I'll be in to tuck you in soon." I patted Anita's bottom. She smiled and ran to her room.

Eleven at night and we were finally back at mine. Martha happy to see us. But something was bothering me. Paul was busy petting her as I made my way into the kitchen to make myself some more tea. His voice making me jump.

"You've been awfully silent."

I shrugged. "Just have a lot on my mind I guess."

"Sadie."

I turned to him and crossed my arms. "You have to leave. Seeing you and Ani together has been everything she's always wanted. A family. I just can't bear the thought of having to tell her you went away after everything you've shared and promised. No promises Paul. No more."

He stayed silent and chewed on his bottom lip. I looked at him.

"Say something."

"What am I supposed to say? I love you Sadie. I love our little girl. But...I can't tell Linda. I can't break up my family."