Chapter 46.

"So um, here we are. Again." I blushed, walking into my house. Emily sitting on the living room floor, brushing Martha's fur. She just glared at Paul. "Ignore Emily. She's just being protective." I whispered to him.

"More like overprotective. But it's good. She has every right to be."

I led him to the kitchen and flicked the lights on. "It's not much. But, it's been our home for a few years. Anita loves it."

He smiled to himself and leaned against the counter. "D'you think she'll like me?"

"Is it killing you to find out?" I giggled.

"You have no idea."

"Mommy I lost miss lulu."

We looked down to see Anita walking in the room, rubbing her eyes. Messy hair and wrinkly dress.

"Aww poor baby. We'll find her later okay?" I held my hand out to her. She took it and looked up at me.

"Who's miss lulu?" Paul asked. Anita looked at Paul.

"She's my best fwiend. I brush her hair, have tea with her, and we talk about boys."

I laughed and let her hair down, running my fingers through it.

"Well, we wouldn't want you to be missing her now would we? Mind if I help you find her?" Paul kneeled down so they were face to face. I smiled watching them.

"Okay. What's your name? I'm Anita." She smiled.

"I'm Paul. Let's go find miss lulu yeah?"

She nodded and grabbed his hand, leading him to her room. I bit my lip and soon was met with Emily walking into the room.

"I dunno about this. Why would you let him back here??" She whispered. I sighed.

"Paul has a right to meet his little girl. I don't know why I let him back here I....my god this is so fuckin pathetic." I turned away.

"You still love him. That's all that's to it right? You think maybe bringing him here, getting to know his little girl and you all together could spark something more?? He's a married man. He has a family and a life of his own. This is what you two wanted."

"I know this is what we wanted. But does it have to stay that way??"

We just stayed quiet until Paul and Anita walked into the room hand in hand. Her doll in the other.

"Look mommy! Paul helped me!" She smiled. "I think we should keep him."

I laughed and looked at Paul. "Me too."

..

"Uncle Paulie! Do you want to see my drawings??"

"Of course I do! Bring em here." He smiled, sitting at the table. She ran off to her room.

"Hmmm. Uncle Paulie. So close." I laughed.

"She's really cute. She's so happy and full of wonder. A broad imagination is needed in a child her age."

"A day with her is always an adventure." I took the lasagna out of the oven to cool down. "She loves reading and art time at school...the only problem is..."

"Here they are!" Anita ran into the room with a mess of drawings. She climbed on a chair and handed Paul a picture.

"This one is of me and mommy at the park. And then here's one of Martha I did yesterday. Aunt Emiwy. And hewes my friend miss Lulu!"

"They're all so beautiful love. What about your friends at school?" Paul asked. I cleared my throat.

"Erm, Paul can you help me with plates? Go put your drawings away okay Ani? Go wash your hands."