Chapter 14.

I breathed through the oxygen mask, opening my eyes just to be blinded by the bright lights overhead. Voices could be heard as I was wheeled into a room. Shouting from a familiar voice. My hands darted to my stomach, feeling the soreness come into play the more concious I became.

"P...please. My babies.." I spoke softly. Nobody would listen. All I could hear were doctors and nurses. I don't even think they could hear me.

"Please I need to make sure she's alright!"

"Mister McCartney please keep your voice down..."

"She's pregnant...with my child. Please." He urged. The doctor stayed silent and soon I felt dizzy again.

..

The sun was barely rising as I awoke. The room empty. But I had to admit, I felt much better. Everything was calm. That was until my brain started working again and I remembered the strangers knee pressing against my..... I gasped and looked down, resting my hands over my stomach.

"No...I can't lose em. Not like this."

I reached over for the call button and pressed urgently. I sat up and bit my lip, soon watching as a doctor rushed in. He slowed down and sighed when he saw me calmy sitting.

"Miss Montgomery....thank god you're awake." He smiled.

"Doctor I...."

"Your pregnancy." He nodded.

"Are they okay?" I asked. He sat down and looked at his clipboard.

“It’s okay.”

“It? One.” I realized. He nodded and stood up.

“I’m sorry Sadie. But you have a lot to be grateful for. You’re alive. You have a perfectly healthy baby. Everything will be okay.” He assured me. I just nodded and looked down. I felt his hand rest on my shoulder. I looked up at him.

“You’ll be okay.”

I nodded and laid back. “When can I leave?”

“As soon as you’re ready. You’re um….Mister McCartney was here to see you. He explained everything to me..”

“Oh. I’m sorry if he was upset. I know he didn’t want ayone to know…”

“I promised I wouldn’t tell a soul. This is a hospital. The last thing I need is people and photographers wanting gossip for their bloody papers.”

I smiled. “Thank you.”

He smiled and left the room. I sighed and looked at the clock.

4:23 am

I’ll get some more rest, then I’ll go back to Pauls. It’s nearly been a week and already I’ve managed to screw up a musician's life, start an affair with a married man, get a job and lose a baby. I was scared for whatever else life was going to throw at me these next few months.

..

Paul was out in the backyard at eight in the morning. Sitting and petting Martha when I arrived. He didn’t speak to me when he saw me through the back window. Just simply went on to smoking and drinking a cup of coffee. I stared at the stairs where the scene happened. Just brushing it off and making my way up to my room. I smelled like a hospital. It reminded me of my dad.

The sadness and gloomy state of those places. People crying, either out of happiness or dread. I was grateful I was still pregnant. I didn’t want anything to happen to my baby. Im still not ready, but I’ll do anything to make sure this baby lives to see the light of day.

After I showered, I dressed and already noticed a small bump. Most probably wont notice, but I see my naked body everyday. So of course I’d notice a small change as this.

“Hi.”

I jumped while putting my hair up.

“Paul. Hi.”

He walked into the room and sat on the edge of the bed. “I’m sorry.”

I shrugged. “It’s okay. I don’t expect you to even care.”

“What?” He asked.

“I’m sorry I…Do you know?” I asked.

He looked at me strangely and just shook his head. “Know what?”

“I was having twins. I found out yesterday. I wanted to tell you when you came back but you left In such a hurry, I didn’t have enough time.”

He stayed silent and looked down at his hands. “Sadie I…I should have listened.”

“I just feel like I’m alone in all of this. Richard has been so sweet to me and been a shoulder to lean on. That should be you Paul. I’m not asking for you to fall in love with me. I’m not trying to ruin your life or break things between you and Jane. This is your baby too. I’m the only one feeling this loss but also grateful I have a child still inside me.”

“I cant drop everything for you Sadie. I’m sorry for your loss and I feel bad for what happened last night. I made sure nothing like that would ever happen again. There’ll be more security around to make sure nobody breaks in again. You barged into my life and…”

“How dare you even say that! Christ Paul you brought me here! You dragged me out of my own life, yes I had a life of my own, and made me come all the way over here and live with you! I understand if you blame me for the pregnancy, for being a burden, but it's your child to! You knocked me up, you decided not to wear the fuckin condom, you were the one encouraged me to come to your room that night!"

"And ye happily agreed!"

I wiped my eyes and threw my brush at the mirror, shattering it to pieces. "I'm done with this. With you. With everything. Fuck you Paul." I stormed out of the room, out of his house, back out into the foreign world, all alone.

.........