Chapter 24.

I was making dinner later that evening, munching on some carrots when Paul came back. He took his coat off and much to my pleasure, put it on the rack beside the door. I smiled to myself.

"It smells lovely in 'ere!" He shouted from the other room.

"Thank you. Martha and I are having a little bit of chicken and vegetables."

He walked into the room and leaned against the counter. Martha sitting beside him as he petted her head.

"Richard 'ere?"

"No. He left not too long ago. He told me he'll be off to Spain to visit John."

He nodded and watched me toss Martha a carrot.

"Look. I just want to throw this out now since were both here and...well before things turn out like they did last night."

I turned to him. "I know what you're goin to say Paul. And....it's okay. I thought about it earlier and, it was a mistake. The kiss, the shower. The feelings. I can see Jane loves you and I know you love her. So, I promise I won't  be forward or try anything funny again. Just friends. With a baby." I bit my lip. 

"Good. I'm glad we understand each other on that part. I just...."

"Yes?"

He looked into my eyes and shook his head. "Nothing. Nevermind."

I nodded and resumed to the food. "I'm glad we both understand on that note. Food's done. You hungry?"

...

Two Months Later

December 6, 1966

I hummed while putting up ornaments on the small tree. The white lights giving the living room a beautiful glow. Martha barked, looking up at me. I rolled my eyes and grabbed the puppy ornament, putting it up on the tree.

"There. You silly girl." I giggled.

..

I was nearly four months along in my pregnancy and my stomach was already showing. I was either tired, hungry, horny or moody. I knew it wouldn'd be easy. I just never thought it'd be this hard. Too late to turn back now.

Paul has been great at keeping things on a friend level between us. I loved him for that. Today was the day the band went back into the studio to begin recording the new album. They were't allowed to talk about it since Paul pitched his idea to their manager. The last thing they needed was the world knowing what they were up to. I didn't mind not knowing what they were up to. It made me feel like a simple person. Not the girl who was living with Paul McCartney.

While he began recording, I was allowed to decorate and get ready for the holiday season. Jane never came around. She never bothered trying to get to know me either. I was grateful for her letting me stay with Paul. I couldn't afford to go on messing with that. I was also more than excited to hopefully be meeting George. Paul told me when he can find the time to introduce us, He'll get onto it. I could tell he was still a little angry at his friend about the entire 'cousin' situation. But I just assured him that it wasnt fair that we'd make him lie about something he never knew about.

As for me working, I spent a few nights a week at the club, resuming my evening opening. Michael was more than pleased when I showed up happier than ever with new material. I even got my own poster up on the front of the club with my name. It wasn't much, but it sure made me feel special. I never mentioned to Paul anything that happened at work just as he never mentioned anything that happened at his work. Or career. Whatever you'd like to call it.

..

"Martha my dear though I spend my days in conversation
Please
Remember me Martha my love
Don't forget me Martha my dear"

I sung playfully as I finished the tree and sat on the floor with her. She sat in front of me and licked my leg. I giggled and scratched the back of her ears.

"Hold your head up you silly girl look what you've done
When you find yourself in the thick of it
Help yourself to a bit of what is all around you
Silly girl"

I was interrupted by the sound of the front door closing. Paul set his coat on the rack and sighed.

"You're home! Like the room?" I asked. He just looked at me and shrugged.

"I'm off to shower then bed." He said flatly. I watched him leave the room. Martha whined and rested her head in my lap.

"I forgot how stubborn you get when you're back at work." I muttered, blowing out the cinnamon candles.

..

"My god." I breathed.

I sat on the cold tiled floor. My hands gripping the edge of the toilet as I puked. Two in the morning. Martha whining as I groaned in pain. My stomach cramping as I puked again. I felt terrible.

"Sadie?"

I flushed the toilet and looked up to see Paul sleepily rubbing his eyes. Hair messy. Shirtless. Only in his briefs.

"It's nothing. Just morning sickness. You can go back to bed."

He walked over and helped me up. "I'm not leavin you 'ere on the cold hard floor. Come on."

He helped me brush my teeth and even grabbed a cold wet cloth, placing it over my head. I felt better once I got into bed and settled in. Martha laying by my feet. Paul nudged for me to scoot over. I obeyed and watched as he laid down, holding me to him. His hand resting on my stomach. Belly was getting more like it.

"I like what you did in the living room." He said.

I laughed. "Now you aknowledge my work?"

"I'm sorry. I had a long day."

I stayed silent and closed my eyes. He hummed and rested his head against mine. I had to admit, I loved moments like these. When out of the blue, he showed he cared. That the things I did didn't go unseen. That he was indeed paying attention. I knew it was all for the baby. But there were times when I couldn't help wondering if there was something more there.

"I have an appointment tomorrow. Will you be there?" I asked.

He yawned and nodded. "I'll be there. I promise. As for now.."

He moved a finger over my lips, making me smile. I snuggled closer to him, placing my hand over his as we slept in each others arms.

............