Chapter 8.

Richard held my hand the entire time we walked. I wasn't complaining to be honest. He made me feel welcome and helped me relax in a whole new place where I felt I didn't really belong. But he changed that.

We were at a cute, small restaurant that Richard suggested. He promised nobody would be bothering us here. We sat at a small table outside so Martha could also enjoy our company.

"Thank you Richard for bringing me here. Up until this morning, I was beginning to think the whole world was against me."

"Paul that bad?" He asked.

I shrugged and took a sip of my drink. "He hasn't been too excited about the whole subject. But, last night we had a little talk and we know where each of us stands. Once this baby is out...we go our seperate ways."

"What if by the time you have it, things have changed between you two?"

I sighed. "It doesn't matter. I just need to remember that, I'm doing this for my baby. Not him."

He nodded and fed Martha a breadstick when nobody was around. I giggled and petted her head.

"Here we are for the lovely couple." The waitress smiled, placing our food in front of us. I blushed and bit my lip as Richard laughed nervously. We stayed silent until she left.

"Our first day together and already.." I said shyly.

"Yeah." He blushed.

We let the subject drop and ate in silence. Marth crying now and then until we threw something her way. The food was great, the company was great, I was really enjoying myself.

After we finished our meal, we asked for the check and were soon off to our next destination. I shopped around for some clothes and a few accessories while Richard played with Martha at the park across the street. I pulled a blue dress off the rack and looked out the window at Richard running around like crazy as Martha chased him. I found myself giggling softy and smiling.

"Miss? Can I help you with anything?"

I broke out of my moment and turned to the lady in front of me. She smiled and reached for the dress. "Would you like to try this on?"

I nodded and smiled embarrassingly, taking another glance at Richard before going off to the dressing rooms.

..

I had quite a few bags by the time I was finished for the day. Richard stopped at a pet store to buy Martha some toys. I thanked him with a kiss on the cheek. He blushed at this.

Seven in the evening and yet, we still had enough energy to joke around and be silly with one another. I really loved his company. I could tell Martha enjoyed it as well. It's been awhile since I've made a male friend. Maybe this is the start of something new?

"I had a lovely time Richard. You're really welcoming. I hope we can do this again sometime." I smiled as he called for a vehicle.

"I'm glad you did. Believe me, the lads are always 'aving their little meetings together. I think we can fit some us time in my schedule." He shrugged. I nodded and soon we were off to Paul's.

"Does Paul and Jane go out a lot? You know, dates and such?" I asked looking out the window. I noticed it began to rain.

"Yeah. I mean the two are only dating but, lately he's been talking about wanting something more. Ye know, engagement."

I just looked at him and nodded. I couldn't help feeling like a burden now. Paul's obviously in love with his girl and here I am, a complete stranger who just barges into his life with a baby, expecting him to take care of me like I'm some kind of helpless thing. But then again, it was his whole idea to have me here. Even after my protests.

"I think he just sees all of us married, half of us with children and he wants the same for himself. Maybe not the children part but...." he stayed silent and looked away awkwardly. I bit my lip and looked down at my legs.

"I..I'm sorry." He said quietly.

"No it..it's okay. I mean, of course he's not ready for children. Look Richard, don't think I'm just some obsessed fan who wants to pin a pregnancy on your friend. To be honest, I don't even own all of your guys's records."

He laughed and looked at me as we arrived in Paul's drive.

"I know you don't mean any harm love. Paul, he's the type of bloke who keeps his guard up to protect himself. Even when it isn't necessary sometimes. Don't think he's a complete prick because even though he is, he's a nice prick."

It was my turn to laugh. We sat in silence and just looked at each other. I blushed as his blue eyes met my hazel ones.

"I have a lot of stuff here. Do you think you can help me?" I asked.

He nodded and grabbed a few things, calling Martha along. We ran to the front door, getting soaked on the way. I hurriedly unlocked the front door with the spare key Paul gave me and sighed in relief when we walked into the warm building. I giggled when Richard and Martha both shook their hair out.

"Stop it you two! I'm sure Paul wouldn't appreciate you two getting his furniture all wet."

"Yeah well, Paul isn't here is he?" He smirked. I blushed and set my bags down on the floor. The dim lighting made his skin glow. The droplets of water on his neck, slowly sliding down. He looked at me strangely, a different look in his eyes.

"So um...there's an album I bought earlier. I thought maybe I can put it on and we can have a listen. You know if...."

I froze as he walked in closer to me.

"..if you can....stay." I said quietly.

"I can stay." He said softly. I nodded and reached up, wiping the drops of rain off his forehead. I watched as his hand grabbed mine. Slowly running down my arm. I knew this was wrong. I knew he was married and had children. But something about Richard was undeniably attractive. He was sweet and caring, a real gentlemen. I had to do what I had to do.

So I leaned up and pressed my lips on his.

.........