Chapter 24 - The Couch Was Never Big Enough To Start With

The fact that I kept questioning the plan was a sign. The fact that all the people whose opinions I valued told me not to had to be a sign, with the exception of Lauren who I thought had a real vendetta against Kendra. Maybe this crusade should end.

There were three more months until the actually ceremony, and maybe it was time to quit. Aiden’s affection for Kendra hadn’t lessened. At least, it hadn’t enough for any of us to tell and to say that we had actually done some damage.

Maybe I just didn’t have the heart to hurt someone seriously as sweet as Aiden anymore.

I had agreed all those months back because I hadn’t known Aiden that well. I didn’t care about his feelings. I just wanted to get back at Kendra. Now, I felt a little differently. Sure, he majorly screwed up over the course of the months, but who hadn’t made mistakes?

“It’s soda in a tiny fridge, Jordyn. It’s not that hard to find.” I heard Christian holler at me. It woke me up from my thoughts, and I quickly pulled out a six-pack before closing the door. My face was cold from standing in front of the open door for so long.

The guys had brought pizza back with them and decided to barge in and declare a movie night. How could I kick them out when they had already settled down? I was in the mood for some sort of distraction anyway. All this thinking must had been bad for my mental state.

I came into the room to see Aiden, Alani, Christian, Andrew, and Seth, in that order, trying to fit on the couch. Christian was shoving Alani while Andrew laughed at the situation. Lauren sat on the armrest next to Seth. She sat simply eating her pizza while trying to skip all the trailers of whatever movie they had decided on. “There’s room on the floor, or you know, the other chair.” I pointed to the open armchair next to the couch as I placed the sodas on the table.

“But this seat has the best view.” Christian whined before fitting for elbowroom against Alani. The two shouldn’t have occupied the middle if they wanted to breathe.

Aiden took a deep breath before shifting his position. He leaned forward to grab a can before looking up at me. “How was your aunt?” He asked politely. Aiden and I hadn’t really talked much, but ever since his apology, I had no angry feelings towards him. Though, we hadn’t really discussed the whole dress fiasco. I thought that he didn’t want to rehash the subject, but I wasn’t about to pay for an ugly bridesmaid dress that I’d probably only wear for the wedding that I didn’t want to attend.

I cracked open my can before sitting in the open armchair. Aiden’s eyes followed me around the table to the chair close to Lauren. “Okay.” I answered. “I mean… she seems better. I hope she’s better.” I leaned back in the chair, and Lauren touched my knee.

Aiden gave me a sympathetic smile before moving out of his spot to occupy the neighboring armrest like Lauren sat. This gave enough room for the three remaining on the couch to sit. Alani happily took Aiden’s former spot, and all arguing ceased when Seth slid down to take a seat on the floor. Lauren played the movie, 21 Jump Street, and the distraction started.

In the middle of the movie, I got up to get more sodas. I noticed that I was being followed to the kitchen, if you could call it a kitchen. As I bent down to reach in the fridge, the person made himself or herself known. “So what’s the difference between cream white and egg-shell white? I never got that.” Seth began to chuckle and talked lowly.

“Beats me.” I answered straightening with another six-pack. “Probably why your sister kept me out of the actual discussion. I think she’s fed up with me, and she’s only talking to me because it would start gossip. Then again, your sister never had a problem being talked about.”