Chapter 17 - Keeping It Together, It's Harder Than It Looks

I was shaken awake, and my back felt horrible. Someone was stroking the back of my head as I awoke tiredly. "Darling, you didn't have to stay." A weak voice told me. I leaned my head against my one hand and looked up at the person. She smiled at me even though it caused her pain.

"I wanted to." I patted her hand as I yawned. 

"You've been here two nights." She reminded me in a scolding tone. "Your back must feel terrible. You slept here last night and on that chair the other." Her eyes were soft and caring as she talked to me.  She didn't seem like she was dying, just very tired. "Is something wrong?" She inquired.

I pursed my lips. "No." I told her. "I'm fine, Aunt Kelly."

"Are you sure, child? You've been wearing the same clothes for 72 hours. They must stink."

I nodded with a humorless laugh and began pushing my chair back to stand. "I'm going to get breakfast. Do you want something?" I avoided the questions as best as possible. I didn't answer them when I got here, and I didn't expect to answer them any time soon.

She smiled sadly at me because I knew she knew the truth. I was here not only because of her, but because I was avoiding reality. Too much was going on around Kendra's wedding, the hotel, and Kendra herself. I needed a break, so I was staying in a home away from home away from home. The only people I saw around here were nurses, doctors, and my sister Shawna and the parents every so often.

That was all I could really tolerate right now. 

"A fruit cup. I would love some fruit right now." She answered me as I turned towards the door. I offered her a small smile as I pushed down on the knob.

I had received texts from Alani and Lauren asking if I was okay and that if I needed anything, I should just call them. I sent back quick reassuring replies, but I never paid much attention. My parents and Shawna didn't pick up any problems. They thought the only reason that I was in town was my aunt. I assumed they weren't invited to Kendra's show of a wedding.

I rubbed my arms, using the friction to warm my arms. I greeted the nurses that I was familiar with as I walked down the hall to the elevator. In the elevator, I craned my neck to get rid of the kink that I had gotten from sleeping at my aunt's bedside. It had been a long few days. The buzzing was loud as it was really early in the morning, maybe 8AM, yet the hospital was busy as it always was.

As the doors slid open, coffee was shoved into my hand. "Morning, sis." A much perkier and younger version of me smiled at me. Her brunette hair was done high in a messy bun as she wore a stylish white button down under her black jacket and blue jeans with black strappy heels. She was slightly tanner than me and had a happier gleam in her eyes because her life was still well put together. "Did you sleep here again?" She asked me as I stepped out of the contraption and started walking with her to the cafeteria. I simply nodded. "How's Aunt Kelly?" How she was always happy in the morning had always been a mystery to me. Even when she was a crying baby, she was giggling in the morning. 

"Same as usual." I answered monotonously. I never understood doctor stuff; science was not my strong suit. "She wants fruit again." When the doctors talked to me about everything, I got really dizzy. A few things were comprehended in my brain. The obvious thing was that my aunt had breast cancer and that it was stage four.  I massaged my temples with my forefinger and middle finger.

We sat in the a little more than empty cafeteria, and Shawna chuckled at me. "If you press any harder, your head's gonna pop." She rolled her eyes as she sipped her own caffeinated drink like she actually needed it. I dropped my hand from my forehead. "Why don't you stay in a hotel or something? Or here's a crazy idea, stay with Mom and Dad?" She set the cup from Starbucks on the table and gave me a look.