Chapter 10 - Don't Talk To Me About It

“Jordyn, are you trying to ruin my wedding?” Kendra was scolding me and threw her arms around in an emphatic matter. Maybe just a little. I just don’t like you as much as you think I do. I inwardly rolled my eyes, but kept a straight face on my exterior. I sat in the room the reception was going to take place. It was a grand room with the glass chandelier. The walls were a pearl white with gold designs above the baseboard and molding. There was gold going up the walls in periodic thin lines. The design that was at the bottom of the wall was repeated at the top. There was a solid wood dance floor in the middle of the room. Also, there were tables with white clothes and fancy looking chairs surrounded it. I was seated at one of those fancy  tables. There was a stage near the wooden panels of the floor for a band or DJ. The lights off the chandelier made the gold sparkle. It was a pretty snazzy place. To Kendra, it wasn’t perfect or snazzy enough, as if anything will always seem to Kendra. Kendra walked around addressing things that I should’ve written down as “problems” but didn’t. I mean, whatever, I didn’t really care about this wedding. I literally took a piece of paper ten minutes ago and wrote random things down.

“I’m sorry, Kendra.” I tried to sound genuine. I didn’t really think that I did, but Kendra was too wrapped up to notice my little white lie.

“You should be!” She exclaimed with helpful hand gestures to show how angry she was. I didn’t see the big deal. It was just a list. It was just an unnecessary list that should have been made by an interior designer, or hey, maybe the bride should have done it! My brain talked too much. The list isn’t even that important or essential. Kendra was still going on about something. I had stopped paying attention due to the fact that the conversation my brain was having about what I should have for lunch was more exciting and interesting. 

Someone opened the door and I waited to see him or her walk through the walkway. That was literally more attention-grabbing than Kendra’s anger-filled spiel. I felt like a teenager in a high school science or history class all over again. I was let down, though. It was only the groom who emerged from the doorway. How unexciting. “Alright, I think that’s enough, Kendra.” Aiden defended me. He was too sweet, honestly. It’ll be the death of him sooner or later. “It was just a list. It wasn’t all that important.”

“But-“

“It doesn’t matter anyways. No one will notice anything. They would be more focused on the world’s most beautiful bride.” Aiden stopped her from arguing with a kiss-up line. Oh, he was good. That was the first time I’ve seen Kendra cut off without her blowing up. Maybe it the flattering words actually worked. Oh wait, she was still blowing up on the inside. Her ears had smoke coming out and I swear her cheeks got redder by the second. “Lauren wants to talk to the maid of honor and I think it’s time we should let her go. She’s been punished enough.”

I sighed in relief. Finally, I was going to get out of this room that seemed to suffocate me. “I’ll go right now.” I said and stood up quickly. I didn’t meet anyone’s eye in fear that someone would remember something and make me stay longer.

“Oh, no.” Kendra stopped me without me even looking at her. Damn. “I have to get you later, then. There is so much work to be done!” She practically yelled at me. Then her tone made a 180. “In the meantime, Aiden and I will go get some lunch.” She said with a perky smile and tugged on her fiancé’s hand.

I faked a bright smile as they passed me by. I waved back when Aiden decided to be friendly and offered me a goodbye. Nope, it could not cheer me up. As soon as the door closed behind them, I let out a huge sigh. 

I pushed open the door a few moments after Aiden and Kendra left, just to make sure that they still wouldn’t be in the hall when I exited. Last thing I wanted was to have to talk to them about wedding details or Kendra some more. When I saw that I was in the clear, I made my way up to Lauren and Alani’s room.