Chapter 38 - A Matter of Life and Death

"Huh?" I looked at the bitch confused. The words finally sunk into my thick skull, and I couldn't believe it. My look shifted to Aiden. "You're still getting married to her? After everything?" I asked him in disbelief. I shook my head. "Maybe he is a sucker." I muttered and turned around. I took five strides to get out of the room as quickly as possible.

What was that cracking sound? It was loud in my ears. My chest was in pain. I pressed my lips together tightly. No sounds would have been able to escape then. "Jordyn, aren't you happy for me?" Kendra's voice was piercing in my state. My head felt dizzy and light as I tried to make it out of the room in one piece.

Voices. Voices were talking. What were they saying? There was yelling. What were they yelling? I couldn't understand any of it. What was going on?

I felt a gentle pull on my arm. The sounds quieted and focused on the pink lips in front of me. "Jordyn?" He asked me, looking at me worriedly. "Jordyn, are you okay?" Aiden tilted his head in effort to catch my eyes.

I looked at him, feeling a little dazed. It felt like I had just been hit on the head really hard, and now everything was really hard to understand. My chest felt like it was in pieces of shattered glass. "Huh?" I answered him, not quite sure how to make intelligible sounds. "Um, uh-"

"Can I talk to you?" He said. "Privately?" He spoke quietly, and I was only 30% sure of what he said.

"Ah? Wha-?" My brain wasn't processing anything. I couldn't talk. I needed to clutch my chest because it was starting to hurt. What was happening?

I felt a pair of hands clap onto my shoulders and shook me a little. A louder voice was heard from behind me. "You know what, Aiden?" Seth's voice permeated my brain. "She's had a long day." It occurred to me that Seth was saving me, and I felt grateful to him for once in my life. Seth Price had his moments. "She went to lunch with her family. She was lugging bags around. I think she just needs to turn in." Seth assured Aiden.

Aiden frowned, causing his eyebrows to furrow. "It's four in the afternoon."

"Exactly." Seth said. "Long, long day."

"That's right." Ginger pitched in. "We'll just take her to her room. You guys can talk in the morning!" Ginger offered, and she and Seth started to push me out of the room.

Ginger and Seth were trying to talk to me as they basically dragged me to my room. Nothing was really processing in my brain anymore. It was all just background sounds to the loud cracking coming from my chest. It made me wince every time I felt a snap.

Numb.

I felt really numb after a while. I had been alone in my room for three hours after Seth and Ginger left me. Several people had tried to get in contact with me, but I liked being by myself in my dark space. There was barely any light. The only source was the TV that had been playing stupid romantic movies. Shut Up, Nicolas Sparks.

So, I went to sleep. Leaving the mess of my life to hopefully forget everything in a dream.

My effort to never wake up again was ruined by a voice.

"Jordyn." A hissing voice startled me a bit. "Jordyn, wake up." It was male, and it was urgent. "Come on."

A groaning sound emitted from my lips as I turned over. "What? It's the middle of the night." I continued to bury my head deeper into my pillow to continue dreaming about bunnies and unicorns that were strongly anti-weddings and anti-Kendra. They were very nice bunnies and unicorns.