Chapter 45 - Let's Get This All Out In The Open

The sun outside felt good on my skin, and it was great to feel the cool air flow through my nostrils and through my lungs. The birds were singing. The sun was shining. The smile couldn't leave my face. Maybe the air seemed more delicious because I knew what was coming.

Kendra's face was turning pink with the anger that was building up inside. Kendra got pissed and annoyed a lot, yes. To truly see her this angry and steaming was an achievement. She always did believe that strong emotions caused wrinkles, which was why she never cried too much. Also, the crying thing was because you had to have a heart to feel sad enough to cry.

When we came to face each other just outside the glass store doors, I was smirking, and Kendra was sneering at me. "You went to see Nick?" She asked in the low hissing tone that she reserved for when her inner snake took over her whole body rather than just most of it. Her arms were crossed over her chest with her fists tighter than a corset. The scowl on her face would definitely cause some wrinkles.

I shrugged. "Nick is an old friend. Since you're wedding is almost here, I didn't want to forget to see him." I reasoned with a smile and a shrug. "I had no reason not to go see him."

She tilted her head from side to side as her piercing eyes bore into me. "Well, what did you two talk about, then?" She asked carefully as if the tentative voice would get me to answer her. Her posture was too stiff, and she was just too mean in general for me to confess anything to her. So I would draw this out as a form of torture.

"I don't see how that is any of your business."

Kendra's nostrils flared, and I could tell she was on the verge of imploding. Kendra never liked to lose, of course. "Of course, it's my business! I need to know! Nick has the-" She pressed her pink glossed lips into a hard line as she tried to keep in check. The last thing she need was someone to walk by and start saying massively bad things about her and her temper. It was something that everyone in our high school knew, but Kendra's mother's friends were different. They heard everything in public, and they were much more harsh about their snap judgments than even Kendra.

"He has what?" I leaned an ear towards her. "He has the tape that you so desperately asked for because you wanted to blackmail me for the rest of my life?" I filled in her blank. I didn't give a hoot about how my behavior reflected on my parents. "I think he lost that, or it might have snapped in half and dropped into a glass of water. It's not such a shame, though." I informed her as I tilted my head slightly and tapped my finger on my chin. "I didn't look that great in it anyway. My hair was messy, and I think my eyes were closed."

Kendra let out a groan of anger as her she was on the verge of a tantrum that would most likely include her waving her perfectly manicured hands around in the air. Her teeth were clenched. "Jordyn, you are really starting to-"

"Piss you off?" I asked her, still poking the beast. "It's the game I'm playing, sweetheart. I think that I have just won. You've got nothing on me, and I can do whatever I want now."

"You're really asking for this?" Kendra threatened. She wanted to assert her position as a bully even though she had nothing protecting that claim.

"'This'? What 'this' are you threatening me with?" I stepped toward her with my eyes narrowed. "Your little string that you were pulling me with was snipped the day that I left this town at the end of graduation. I'm not a senseless, insecure eighteen year-old puppet, anymore, Kendra. The using and the abuse and the blackmail have come to an end. I was ready to leave this town without a word, but you gone and went bringing the video into this. That was over the line." I spoke clearly and decisively to her. I wanted to make sure that she heard every word. The words were the ones that stated my freedom from Kendra's tyranny. It was a beautiful thing. "Nick had told that you were the one that asked him to do it. All of it."