Chapter 25 - Oh, Yeah. Let's All Pretend Like She's Not Like That At All

“You’re starting to get really annoying.” I grinned at Andrew. He had been smiling and tapping furiously on his phone all morning. It was rude of him because he was refusing to tell me who it was. “Just tell me who it is.” I reached for the electronic device, but Andrew knew I would do so. He pulled back without even looking up.Andrew had yet to look up at any of us for the length of time we’d been here. Christian, Lauren, Andrew, and I were sitting in the lobby. More specifically, we were sitting on the cream ceramic-tiled floor against one of the beige-yellow walls of the hotel. We were waiting for Alani and Aiden who were still getting ready. “Relax, Jordyn. I’m not spreading all your little secrets just yet.” Andrew told me.

“Someone has a secret lover.” Lauren joked as she glanced over at Andrew. In that moment, Christian chose the opportunity to win the thumb war, drawing Lauren’s attention. I thought it was a thumb war, but it might have been strange flirt thing with them because there was giggling and laughing.

I rolled my eyes, but I also started to yawn. It wasn’t that we had gotten up early, but I hadn’t gotten that good night’s sleep. I kept dreaming about my high school days. Those days definitely haunted people. When I rested my head on Andrew’s shoulder, his screen went black. “Oh, come on. I wasn’t gonna read it. You don’t trust me?”

“I’ll tell you when I’m ready to tell you.” Andrew told me seriously.

I shook my head. “With that tone, it sounds like bad news. I don’t need anymore of that.”

“Well, it’s not. At least, I don’t think it is. I don’t know if the grinning was obvious or not…” He reasoned with a teasing tone at the end. When Andrew’s in a good mood, I was in a good mood. It was infectious, and it wasn’t me. It was just Andrew. He had that affect on people. Those surrounding him could catch his moods.

His phone started to vibrate on his lap. He looked down at it, without flipping the screen. He really didn’t want me to know just yet. That was weird. Sure, he had always pretended that he didn’t want to tell me stuff, but it used to just come out by now. He wasn’t answering it.

I lifted my head off his shoulders. “Talk to the secret girlfriend.”

“It’s not a secret girlfriend.” Andrew assured me as he stood up.

“Boyfriend? Did Kevin ask you out or something?” I gazed up at him in wonder. Christian and Lauren’s attentions had also been piqued. Andrew’s glance moved from each of us back to me. He shook his head and walked away without answer me, and a smile was clear on his lips.

Not a few moments later, we heard the elevator ding. Unexpectedly, Alani was rushing past us. Anger and irritation was radiating off of her. “You’re blind and deaf now, huh, Aiden?”

Aiden’s voice was quick to reach out for her. “Al-“

“Don’t talk to me!” Alani’s voice cracked, but it wasn’t from tears. It was pure anger. Her feet pounded loudly against the tiles. Her tiny hands were curled tightly into fists, and her figure was quickly fleeing from the hotel. I had never seen Alani so pissed off. I was frozen with shock.

Aiden, on the other hand, was slowing down. He seemed not to have noticed us yet in our loitering spot. He looked exhausted and exasperated. It was not clear what the argument was about, but clearly Aiden needed another lesson in apologizing. Alani was upset with something that happened, and surely Aiden had to have done something for her to be accusing him.

Lauren leaned towards me and talked in a hush voice. “I go after Alani, and you talk to Aiden. If Christian does anything, nothing will get resolved. Plus, I get a feeling our favorite person in the world might have something to do with this.” She instructed me. Her brown eyes watched Aiden for a few seconds as he ruffled his hair, and then, she stood up and chased after Alani with one last scrutinizing look at Aiden.