Chapter 12 - The Unholiest Yet Much Anticipated 18th

I sat down at the breakfast table in front of Alani, Lauren, and Christian. Instead of cereal, I was actually patient enough to make my own waffle and I was pretty proud of how it turned out. Bonus points for me! “The day has finally come.” Alani breathed, she started drowning her waffle with syrup. So Alani may or may not have helped me with my waffle. “The day we all basically lie to Aiden.”

“Yes, the day where I, once again, have no plans. Alani has a date. Lauren and Christian are going out of town. Then I have no plans, which means I have no life.” I complained and put just the right amount of syrup on my waffle. “You guys have got to stop leaving me behind.”

Lauren giggled at my incessant complaining. “Well, you remember what you are doing. You technically do have plans.” The evil genius wanted me to “make a move” with Aiden tonight. Ha! Like I could ever do that without laughing my butt off.

“I meant plans not concerning those plans.” I sassed her.  She sassed me first!

Christian rolled his eyes. “Anyways, I heard the love birds arguing this morning.” He dished the juicy goods. Gossip is interesting when it’s not about you.

“Really? What about?” I said with a full mouth of waffle mush. “It couldn’t have been about their anniversary, could it? Aiden said he had the perfect night planned.”

Christian shrugged. “I think he was trying to get her to apologize about something.”

“Wow, she was a bitch in front of him? Oh my God. That’s not good for her image.” Alani snickered. “You probably heard wrong. Maybe she was trying to get him to apologize for not picking a more expensive restaurant. That argument has happened before.” She continued to suggest with an eye roll.

Christian shook his head. “No, I’m pretty sure he was mad at her.” He argued. “Well I guess, in turn, that makes her mad at him.” He added thoughtfully.

“Well which one was it guys?” I raised an eyebrow. Alani’s theory was more reasonable, but Christian did not show much dishonesty, maybe annoyance, in the short time I’ve known him.

We heard the lovebirds coming down for breakfast. They were definitely fighting. Their biting words could be heard as soon as they stepped out of the elevator. I couldn’t help but think triumphant thoughts. I didn’t even care what it was about. It could’ve been about something that we did or just a plain argument. They were disagreeing and that was all that mattered. “I think Alani is going to have to bow down in defeat for this one.”  Lauren mumbled as we listened to the intense argument. Alani scowled.

An insistent Aiden was chasing after a prideful Kendra who was approaching a hungry me. Wait, why was she coming over to me? “Just apologize to her.” Aiden begged her. Was he talking about me?

I think he was. I looked up at the queen of the world as she put a hand down next to my plate. “May I help you?” I asked. It was breakfast; you don’t expect me to be nice before my morning coffee. 

“I can’t believe you still hold that stupid Valentine’s Day dance thing against me. I asked him first, fair and square. Plus, Caleb was a total loser. I saved your time and frankly wasted a lot of my own precious time. You should be thanking me.” Like I said, Kendra was prideful. Too prideful. She also had a big mouth that she needed to tape shut.

Alani blinked and looked at me. “That’s what this is about?” Alani muttered next to me on the other side of Kendra’s pissed body language.

Christian looked at me with interest, as did his girlfriend. “Whose Caleb?” He whispered.

I didn’t respond to Christian or Alani. “I’m not holding it against you. I just don’t think it’s one of my top favorite memories from high school, or my whole life for that matter. I’m not thanking you for taking the guy that I had the biggest crush on of my pre-teen life!” I retaliated.