Chapter 23 - White or... White?

I had picked up the sand again and again as I sat next to Andrew. My elbow rested on my knees, and we both stared at what was in front of us. It wasn’t the crystal blue waters. It wasn’t the way waves hit the shore. It wasn’t the sand on the white beach. It was Kendra arguing with her mother and sister about the color of the cloth.

I pouted slightly and looked at Andrew. I opened my mouth to apologize, but Andrew beat me to it. “Don’t you dare apologize again. That’ll be the fourth time. I’m tired of hearing it.” He let out an exasperated sigh before smiling at me. “Honestly, I’m not thrilled to be here, but I’ll try to understand that there wasn’t a choice.”

Dance class had ended hours ago, and I was excited to get out of the damned hotel’s reach. That feeling was crushed when Kendra called out my name while I was walking out the front doors. I felt bad that Andrew came with me, but I didn’t make him. He said that he wouldn’t leave me alone to fend for myself among the sharks just yet. I appreciated it since there were three Price women in front of me. One already blatantly disliked me. The other didn’t care about me. The last one was, well, a bitchy best friend.

The one that didn’t care about me, which would be Kendra’s younger sister, approached me with the two clothes in her hand. Her name was Ginger. That was all I pretty much knew about her. She opened her mouth to say something to me as she walked over to me, but Kendra cut her off.

“Don’t ask Jordyn, you little swine. She doesn’t know anything about everything.” Kendra scoffed, completely missing my glare. Harsh comments were usually met with snarky replies, especially around Alice. However, around Kendra, they were just too home-y, and I was used to them. Most times they weren’t directed towards me, but they did have something to say regarding me. For example, this one.

I pursed my lips. The sister, Ginger, continued to argue with her sister without much acknowledgement to my presence. “Then why is she here? Maid of honor is here to help the bride. So maybe she can help settle this argument once and for all.” Ginger countered her older sister. What Ginger said made a lot of sense. There was no thinking needed to understand that Ginger was probably the most rational of her family. Maybe this Price came out just right.

Kendra walked over, still ignoring my presence, and snatched the clothes out of her sister’s hands. “She’s only my maid of honor because Aiden thought it’d be a good idea to invite her.” I really started to wonder if they knew I was in earshot, or that I was just plain there. I didn’t think her acknowledging my existence would fix much of what she was saying. Kendra never cared nor regretted anything that came out of her shiny lips. “He wants me to spend time with her ‘like old times’.”

Once again, Aiden had the good intentions, but “old times” was not what I wanted nor needed.

I’d have to talk to him about this.

My mind took its sweet time to actually register that Aiden was the only reason I was here. Aiden had been the one that wanted me here. Aiden was the one that asked Kendra to invite me here. He was either really sweet or diluted. He was probably both.

I couldn’t help but smile at the idea that Kendra didn’t invite me here to torture my life some more. She invited me because Aiden was sweet enough to think that I should be included in my former best friend’s wedding. Like I said, sweet but diluted. Maybe, delusional was a better word to use.

“Aiden’s a nice guy.” Andrew told me as he leaned forward after his reclined position. “What’s a nice guy doing with her? You told me most of the story, and I figured out the rest. She’s a gold digger, and Aiden has got the gold. Still, he doesn’t seem stupid enough to believe that there’s more reasons than she’s marrying him for money.”