Chapter 8: Yuki's First Battle and a Surprising Twist in Fate!

(Ash's POV)

Over the next two weeks, Yuki has been training intensely with Professor Kukui's Lucario regarding Aura Control. It's no understatement to say she has an insane amount to mess around with. It only took her a week to be able to control how much comes out at once another few days to be able to maintain that Aura Shield that still appears whenever she's afraid... and another couple days to control when the shield is used!

Of course, it wasn't easy for her to accomplish so much in a short amount of time. She began coming to school until lunch time, then leaving to train with Lucario. I could tell that she wasn't learning anything new, but still enjoyed the experience of going to a Pokémon School. After all, she once told us that her school experience wasn't anywhere near as good. When anyone asked why, her face would show signs of sadness. She would avoid answering and tell us that we're amazing friends. Sometimes I wonder if 'school' and 'friends' are somehow connected...

During dinner last night (which, by the way, was Sunday, December 15th in the year 2019,) Yuki told us that she would be attending the school full time again. This made me so happy!

Right now, we're walking to school. My Pokémon, besides Pikachu, are inside their Pokeballs. Yuki has Greninja walking beside her, alongside Rotom-dex floating a little behind us. Professor Kukui's Lucario actually went with his trainer for once! Anyone who knew this blue hair, red eyed girl since the beginning can easily see how far she has come.

"Hey Ash? I got a question... two actually." Yuki said while looking at her Z-Ring. Despite all the progress she has made, it has yet to show signs of glowing.

"What's up?"

"Well... I was talking to Greninja earlier and... well..." She began poking her index fingers together. "I was wondering, with your permission, we could try learning a new move..."

I look at her, tilting my head. "Why are you asking me?"

She replied in a quiet voice, "Greninja said it was ok, but... Greninja is your Pokémon."

'Ash, you and I both know what your answer is. Heck, she knows what your answer is, but at the same time, there's another part of her telling her she needs to ask no matter what.' The ninja frog Pokémon sighed. 'I don't think that's a bad quality in general, by the way.'

I smile hearing what my Kalos water-type said. "I think it's a good quality, too! Wanting to make sure with the other person despite knowing their answer, just because it's theirs." I grab one of Yuki's hands with both of mine. "You don't need to ask me questions like that. I may have caught Greninja, but Greninja is his own Pokémon. If Greninja is OK with learning a new move, then you have your answer, right?"

A small smile showed on her face. "You're right, Ash. I'm sorry for asking a question like that. It's just... in my world, where Pokémon was portrayed as a fictional concept... despite me imagining Pokémon as their own beings who have minds and desires of their own, I always had to ask others those kinds of questions for their Pokémon."

"Don't worry about it. Anyway, what's the second question?"

She stayed quiet for a moment, before responding. "Will you have a practice match with me? I haven't battled in this world yet and I think it's about time I get some practice in."

"Of course!"

With that, we arrived at the school, both of us excited for the upcoming fight.

_____