Chapter 22: Under the Rocks, the Trap was Set

(Greninja's POV)

These past 3-now 4 battles have left both Yuki and I... bewildered. Our plan for Kahuna Hapu went without issue, but things slowly took a turn with Kahuna Hala. Yuki clearly remembered that Pokémon having Fake Out and never Protect. We were prepared to take a small amount of damage from that move, then quickly go for the flying-type attack, before it could Belly Drum and use Close Combat. Instead, we were thrown off with a Protect, they got their move in, and actually managed to make us use that defensive bond. Not only that, but I could tell that Z-Move took a little too much out of her early on.

After quickly sweeping that Kahuna's Pokémon, we were more on edge. Yuki didn't expect to see that Pokémon, alongside she had no clue what moves it was going to use. Playing a careful game was the best plan, but suggesting a physical move might of been a mistake. Honestly, I don't know at this point. I was worried about the reason why the Krookodile kept walking forward... I don't know why, but my gut told me making the ground wet would be a bad move in the long run... maybe it knew Mud-Slap?

Just after we got a good hit, he just... left. The Rock-type user, Kahuna Olivia, only had her Pokémon out for under a minute. She just... repetitively used Stone Edge in random directions... the field is now covered in rock structures of many different heights. Before the field became impossible for Yuki to see anything in, a single Power-Up punch knocked it out.

"Lycanroc is Unable to Battle." The Kahuna of the Island we've all been staying on makes the call. All the Kahuna's are down... too quickly. I look behind me, Yuki's in deep thought. I wouldn't be surprised if she's doubting we're gonna be facing... THAT Tapu...

_____

-Flashback: Ending of the Strategy Meeting-

'Just to make sure I understand, you believe we'll be fighting the following Pokémon: Mudstale, Hariyama, Persio-'

"Alolan Persion. It's a pure dark-type, unlike Kanto's normal-type."

'Alolan Persion, Lycanroc, and Tapu Bulu.'

"That's right." Yuki responded, all the images fading from the sky. "Well, I can at least guarantee it won't be Lele or Fini. Neither would pose a challenge. You resist Water and Physic does nothing."

'That makes sense, but...' I began thinking about Tapu Koko, who would, by far, be the most challenging. 'Why not Tapu Koko?'

"Koko is a possibility, but my reason to believe this is the fact that this is still an Alolan Trial. They focus more on bettering a trainer then winning or losing. I honestly don't think we stand a chance with Koko..." Yuki's words began to trail off, eyes to her feet. "Well, I mean I know YOU can, but I'm not confident in actually making good calls with that deity."

I walked over to her and placed a webbed hand on her shoulder. 'You're not alone in this.'

I could see a small smile form from her face while her head was still down. "Yeah, you're right. But back to the reason why I think it's Bulu: his ability. It's Grassy Surge. Basically, he creates a grassy terrain when he enters a battle. It heals everyone over time. No matter what, this is gonna be a hard battle. I think they chose Bulu, because it would be a bit more even..."

-End of Flashback-

_____

The ground began crackling electricity. Faster then the normal eye can see, a the yellow deity was on the opposite side of the field. I could feel Yuki's worries radiating out from her. We already used our current full extent of the bond; she wouldn't be able to pull that again for at least a few hours...

Then it dawned on me. In the first battle, Hapu attempted to lower my speed. In the second battle, Hala was focused on an extremely powerful attack, making us use our bond. With the third, Nanu broke our advantage. (If I used Water Shuriken, I could of maybe lost some accuracy with Mud-slap before being Countered.) Lastly, Kahuna Olivia wasn't even focused on us, but swiftly messing up the field.

With Yuki having many advantages being from the world that created this one (knowledge of the Kahuna's strategies, that extreme amount of aura we used for a defensive bond, having at least a general idea of how each Tapu likes to do things...) all 4 kahuna's weren't focused on beating us. Not what so ever.

All of this... was a set up for Tapu Koko's advantage.

____________________

After reading everything so far... was this the outcome you imagined? The entire first four battles was all for Tapu Koko. Yuki and Greninja worked really hard, but seems like they didn't focus enough on the overall battle... thinking of each foe as a different battle.

Next chapter is the final battle! Will Yuki and Greninja beat Tapu Koko? Will she slip up, having her Aura Z-Ring flicker just for a second? Is there a bigger point to this grand trial then we believe?

All that... the next chapter will have it!