Chapter 9: Greninja's Feelings

(Greninja's POV)

Ever since meeting Yuki, I've noticed just how similar she is to me. For all our lives, we've both been looking for a place to belong and feel loved. Compared to me who has found that place, Yuki found it... but only after being alive for 24 years, only to be pulled away to save the world.

She's been talking to me about her past ever since she arrived here and well... the more she spoke, the more I could relate. It didn't take long for me to want to give her the same love Ash gave to me. I wanted to become someone she could lean on during the hard times... to become someone who would always be there to watch her back.

As my feelings grew, I was unaware that the special bond I had with my true trainer, Ash Satoshi Ketchum, was weakening. When I finally noticed, it was too late...

_____

"Greninja, let's finish this off! Water Shuriken!" I heard Yuki tell me. During this moment, I felt as if our hearts became one. I didn't notice the way I was forming the shuriken was different then all the other times. All I did was raise my arm into the air and water particles began to form into a bigger size. I didn't even realize that as I was forming it, my skin color was being drained into the arm that was in the air. Once I finished forming this Water Shuriken, I threw it at Pikachu, in which he actually dodged!

Ash, on the other hand, was quiet. He didn't command Pikachu to move out of the way. That was all Pikachu's will. If anything, it seemed as if my trainer was no longer in the moment...

'Ash...?' I asked, really worried at this point. 'Are you ok...?'

After getting no response, I looked around, seeing shocked glares from everyone. I was very confused. What happened?

I then looked at Yuki, who was in the process of losing consciousness. I went over to catch her. As I did so, I noticed Dragonite pop out of her Pokeball to catch Ash, who also ended up losing consciousness.

'What the heck is going on?'

_____

Professor Kukui ended up leaving a sub in charge for the rest of the day, as he carried Ash back to his house. I ended up carrying Yuki. Pikachu walked in-between us, looking very worried. The walk was a quiet one.

When we got to the house, I placed Yuki on her normal couch while Kukui placed Ash where I've been sleeping. He then walked over to the kitchen, made a cup of coffee, and sat down. That's when all eyes were on me.

"Greninja, have you really somehow been hit with a major case of Confusion, despite your typing?" The Professor asked me.

Knowing how he likes to conversate with Pokemon moves, I could tell what he was really asking. 'I really don't know why you all suddenly began looking at me like that.'

His Lucario, who ran downstairs when they got home, was walking up those same stairs with a big mirror. He then placed it in front of me, so I could see my own reflection. Yeah, I can see why everyone was like that now...

My looks are now EXTREMELY close to that of the Shiny version of my kind, but I'm not sparkling in any way, shape, or form. What the heck caused this?

Moments later, we heard Ash mumble words in his sleep. "Greninja... no... don't go..."

Worried about what his dreams contained, I walked over to him and held a hand, which seemed to worsen things. Retracting my actions, I suddenly realized the special bond we shared within us... it was gone. In it's place, however, seemed like something similar managed to squeeze its way in... and I knew right away what it was: the new bond Yuki and I slowly forged together.

'Oh no... what have I done...?'

_____

(Ash's POV)

Right now, I'm in the special place Greninja and I share... but one of us was missing. I've been running for what feels like hours, unable to find any strands of the connection I held so dear. What happened, Greninja?

"Greninja!" My eyes shot open, tears falling from my face. I noticed I wasn't in school anymore, as the ceiling was, for sure, Kukui's.

Slowly getting up, I noticed Greninja was nowhere to be found. Pikachu, who was lying on my lap, pointed towards the outdoors. 'He's on the roof.'

"Thanks, bud." As I got up and began walking towards the door, I noticed Pikachu wasn't following me. "What's wrong, Pikachu?"

'Ash,' the Pokémon's tone was serious, 'What's the last thing you remember?'

"Hmm..." It took me a moment to find the answer. "I remember battling Yuki. She created this amazing set up to accurately hit you... but then it's kinda fuzzy from there. I do, however, remember the feeling of Greninja's connection... snapping..."

Pikachu's face expressed pure worry now. 'Maybe you should wait a couple minutes...'

"Why?"

'...Just like Greninja, you might not like what you see.'

"Come on, Pikachu. You know me better then that! I don't know what you're trying to imply, but I don't judge. You know that!" With that, I climbed up the loft, opened the window, and went onto the roof.

_____

The sun was already setting. Arceus, just how long was I out? Before I could even see Greninja, I could hear him... crying...?

'What have I done...' my ninja frog repeated over and over, seeming like he's been saying that for hours.

"Greninja, what's wr-" As I began to ask my question, I finally got a glimce of the Kalos water-type. Not only did his color change, but I felt a similar rush of Power I felt when I first met Yuki in the dream landscape... I can now see why Pikachu wanted to stop me. It wasn't just because our special bond was shattered, but the fact that it was also replaced.

Greninja, who noticed me, quickly jumped off the roof and began running into the forest, heading in the direction of the Ruins of Conflict.