Chapter 14: A Tip from an Unexpected Source

(Yuki's POV)

"This is so hard!" I threw my arms up in the air and fell back, now laying on the ground. "I'm running out of ideas here, Greninja."

Greninja and I have been spending every moment since coming into this forest trying to get fighting-type power built up. Using the concept of Aerial Ace being flying-type power built up in his legs, we tried to replicate building power in the hands. Needless to say, we actually did just that, but... we may of just invented a different move in the process. Water Punch, maybe? Not our aim what-so-ever, as it doesn't even do anything but form water around his fists.

Either way, I can't think of anything! I mean, this is my first time actually trying to train a living creature. Even in my old world, I never had a pet or anything. Not like I can compare pet training to this...

'Too bad Lucario doesn't know the move.' Greninja slumped down next to me, trying to give me some comfort. 'It might make things easier.'

"Yeah..." I closed my eyes. "I wonder if there's a wild Pokemon on this island that knows the move."

'I actually doubt it.'

"Yeah... even if there was one, would they even hel-Greninja?" I noticed the ninja frog stand up, alert.

'Someone's here.' Within seconds of those words, an apple core was thrown our way. Greninja deflected it, but as he did so, a Pokemon was suddenly in front of him! Not only that, but one of it's furry fists were glowing, ready to hit my friend! Seeming ready to hit hard, the Pokemon swung it's fist, only to tap Greninja with it. It then took a leap back and once it landed, a very small amount of red aura-like light rose up from the bottom, meaning a stat has risen. This Pokemon used Power-Up Punch!

'You're on the right track, but you're still missing the key factor to learning a fighting-type move, human.' This Pokemon told us, leaning on a tree. I recognized this Pokemon right away, as it's one of my favorite mythicals! A Pokemon that makes me imagine if Ash himself was one, he had yellow fur and similar 'z' marks on his cheeks. Known for the move Plasma Fists, alongside being the star Pokemon in 'The Power of Us' and the episodes where Ash first ran into Guzzlord...

"Zeraora!" My eyes glittered with excitement. "You're that mythical Pokemon, aren't ya?"

The Pokemon seemed uneasy with my excitement. Also, this Pokemon seemed... different? Off? I don't know how to put it into words, but something feels as if it's... not there.

'Yeah, I'm that Pokemon in which you humans labeled as a Mythical.' It turned its head away from me now. 'Still wish you humans wouldn't give us strange labels...'

"I'm sorry!" I suddenly felt bad, not thinking of how it felt when others gave me labels back in my old world... having mental disorders since the age of 5 didn't help in my case... I walked up to the electric-type and held out my hand. "Let's start over. I'm Yuki and this is Greninja, my partner and friend."

Greninja waved with a small smile. I could tell he was happy I corrected myself. Zeraora looked back at us, still seeming a bit annoyed, but loosened up a tad. 'Nice to meet ya, Yuki, Greninja.'

_____

The three of us talked for a little bit. I got to know this Zeraora in particular, like how it's a male. Also, he actually hated humans, but made an effort to come here by a request from a good friend of his. He wouldn't say who his friend was or why he hated humans, though. I wasn't gonna pry. He's been watching us train for the past couple hours... internally laughing at our pain. I don't find it funny, but whatever. Alongside all this, he told us something that surprised me.

"You can't use electric-type moves?" My eyes widened with shock, then showed sadness.

'I used to be able to, but something happened. Not gonna tell you what, though.' Zeraora responded, crunching on another apple. 'I'm dealing, though. Being unable to use moves of my own typing, it gave me time to explore some others. Thanks to this, I got a grasp on how moves of different types are learned.'

I grabbed my notebook, hoping this Pokemon would let me in on his secret. Noticing, he continued.

'It's all about you personality and feelings.' I began copying his words on paper. He continued. 'Of course, you're able to use moves that match your own typing much easier. If you want to learn other types, you need to make sure it matches your personality. I'm sure Greninja learned Aerial Ace, because of something similar to being fast and preferring to attack physically, alongside liking to help others. Flying-type moves are normally associated with Speed and Kindness or Open-mindedness.'

"That makes a lot of sense, actually..."

'So, Zeraora, what would help me learn Power-Up Punch?'

He was quiet for a moment, thinking how to respond. 'The fastest way to learn Power-Up Punch is to have a strong anger within you. When one feels angry, power builds up quickly. Although it's not good, once you get the grasp of having that power build up, you won't need to force yourself to feel like that.'

I finished writing down his advice, feeling a bit uneasy taking this approach. Earlier today, I had a gap within my memory. I was trying to get Rotom to give me data, but... what happened to make me black out? I know, for sure, it wasn't a lack of sleep... I knew the whole time...

That's when the Electric-type mythical got up and hoped onto a tree branch. 'I mean, it's your choice if you take my advice. Bye.' Within seconds, Zeraora was out of sight at lightning speed, leaving me and Greninja to think about his words.