Chapter 21: Fighting the Darkness

(Quick note: there's a new form of speaking introduced in this chapter. 'It looks like this.' This is communication from a human to another being [be Pokémon or another human] though the mind and mind alone. It has nothing to do with telepathy. I kept the Pokémon talk the same, but made sure to indicate that the conversation was happening within the mind.)

(Quick note 2: I didn't see a need to introduce this kind of communication during the strategy meeting, because there wasn't anyone else within the moment. That, and it was more like they weren't as focused on the outside. You'll see what I mean as you read.)

(Final Quick Note: Yes, this chapter is, once again, a pun. I'm sure you realized by now I really like to name things in a pun-like way, alongside breaking the 4th wall. If you haven't realized... have you read the other two books beforehand?)

_____

(Yuki's POV)

"Belly Drum, quick!" The arm thrust Pokémon began banging it's belly as Greninja landed, blocked by the last moved used: Protect.

'This is bad, Yuki.' Greninja spoke, still facing his foe. Although he sounded more excited then anything. 'Do you think it's worth showing that card yet?'

I thought for a moment. This was going to be the hardest battle of them all. I wanted to get fully set up, then quickly take out the major problem... I would of rather waited until Greninja took a little damage, but...

"Do not get distracted, child." Kahuna Hala's words snapped me out of my thoughts, which helped me notice what his next move was. This was REALLY gonna be bad if we didn't play that card now. If anything, we'll probably lose if we don't. He and his Pokémon, perfectly in sync, were half way done with their Z-Move.

"GRENINJA!" The ninja frog understood my answer from my tone of voice. The Fighting-type Z-Move was complete and fists were forming from each punch Hariyama. To quickly lessen the damage, a giant water shuriken was being formed as a shield, but lacked the size to minimize much of the impact. The entire area was now fogged with the aftermath of the attack.

Everyone was quiet, seeming to wait for the results. Even my opponent. That's when, with great speed, Greninja leapt out of the smoke, seemingly unscathed. Kicking the fighting-type with Aerial Ace, it was over. After the attack, he did a quick jump back into the smoke until it cleared. Our 'card' was revealed. Everyone from Alola seemed surprise, but Ash and Pikachu were un-phased. They knew what just happened.

Greninja was covered in a light layer of aura while his eyes glowed red. Me, on the other hand, had an insane amount of Aura layered around myself, along with my eyes glowing the same.

"That's so cool!" I could hear Ash from the sidelines. "It's like your own form of Ash-Greninja!"

Well, he wasn't wrong. It was what I considered to be our version (for now, anyway.) It lacked any sort of change in power or appearance (excluding the glowing of eyes and aura), but it excelled at how bonded we were. We could clearly hear each other's thoughts, see each other's vision, and most importantly, minimize each others damage. Ever since my very first day, I excelled in Defensive Aura. Using this skill, I took a huge chuck of the damage.